Sign in to follow this  
archerycrazy

"Pat" Madden Nominated

Governor Brewer has nominated "Pat" Madden to be the next Arizona Game and Fish Commissioner. Pat is a Flagstaff resident and it's former Chief of Police. He will be at the meet the commission meeting Saturday.

Personally, I think he'll be a great Commissioner.

No offense and I hope you don't take it as such. Why do you feel he will be great? I don't know him and want some insight.

I got a copy of his resume before he appeared before the Selection Recommendation Board and studied is very carefully. I spoke with people in Flagstaff who know him very well, including two former Commissioners. I spoke with a friend who sits on the Recommendation Board. Finally several members of my organization met with him at Meet the Commission. Solid recommendations all around.

When he appeared at the Selection Recommendation Board it was obvious that he knew more about Wildlife, Wlidllife management and Game & Fish than any other candidate.

All well and good. Haven't seen his résumé heard he was a lifer at flagstaff pd. I'm assuming he has at least one degree from NAU in something related to wildlife?

Thanks for the insight.

It appears that you are quick to make assumptions with no facts. You assume that because he has applied for a seat on the Commission, he has a degree in wildlife from NAU. You're only partially correct in that he does have a degree from NAU but it deals with law enforcement. He has a Masters from another institution and is a graduate of the FBI.

I have made an assumption about his future performance on the Commission based of facts that I am aware of and research that I have done.

By the way, there is no requirement for a degree in wildlife to be on the Commission.

I simply can't unde

I’ll preface by saying that I do not know him.

So if I was a heck of a plumber and a standup guy ...am I qualified to make wildlife decisions? He put in 30+ years as a cop, and then worked for the Dept. of gaming; I guess I too fail to see how he is qualified.

Does it irk anyone that the folks making wildlife management decisions (commission) are appointed, not elected? Are they indeed qualified?

I would rather have them appointed by Jan Brewer than elected by the same people that voted for Anne Kirkpatrick and Janet Napalitano.

• Like 1

you've got a point

Not sure an enforcement guy is what we need to help ensure the future of our sporting tradition. Unless we are all a bunch of redneck tards that need a cop mentality... Don't know the guy from Adam but think we need sound wildlife management decisions with a bit of real world common sense. Would take a guy with farming, ranching or business acumen over enforcement. I don't mind guys doing their job. Wardens that BS, talk shop, give tips on where game is and hunters aren't then get around to asking for your licence and tag get huge points and respect. No need to be sneaky or treat all hunters like they are crooks. As in all walks of life it's about respect and a bit of know how.

• Like 1

In the recent past we have had a pumpkin grower with expertise in computers, a farmer, a tire retailer and salesman, and a teacher, I don't know of any with a wildlife degree. All have been life long sportsmen, hunters and anglers. They have learned the applicable statutes and the rules and regulations of Game and Fish. Currently we have two Commissioner with L.E. histories. Of all of the Commissioners in the last 10 years have passed muster with sportsmen with the exception of one. She had no background as a sportswoman but Nappy appointed her over our strong objections.

There is nothing in Madden's history that should cause concerns about his ability to admirably perform his duties as a Commissioner.

• Like 2

I would rather have them appointed by Jan Brewer than elected by the same people that voted for Anne Kirkpatrick and Janet Napalitano.

Amen brother ...

It appears that you are quick to make assumptions with no facts. You assume that because he has applied for a seat on the Commission, he has a degree in wildlife from NAU. You're only partially correct in that he does have a degree from NAU but it deals with law enforcement. He has a Masters from another institution and is a graduate of the FBI.

I have made an assumption about his future performance on the Commission based of facts that I am aware of and research that I have done.

By the way, there is no requirement for a degree in wildlife to be on the Commission.

I simply can't unde

I actually made the assumption because I thought it was what made him such a stand out as a member of the Commission. If you notice though the assumption was a question. So I was seeking further information from you. Your initial response left a whole bunch of holes from someone who suggested they supported him and I hoped you would expand on that.

The big assumption I made was that as the original poster you were willing and capable of providing additional information about the man without being a jerk. Other than his academic history, you provided no new information. So you did a good job of proving me wrong.

I appreciate you attacking me for asking you questions on topic with your original post.

I simply can't unde

I actually made the assumption because I thought it was what made him such a stand out as a member of the Commission. If you notice though the assumption was a question. So I was seeking further information from you. Your initial response left a whole bunch of holes from someone who suggested they supported him and I hoped you would expand on that.

The big assumption I made was that as the original poster you were willing and capable of providing additional information about the man without being a jerk. Other than his academic history, you provided no new information. So you did a good job of proving me wrong.

I appreciate you attacking me for asking you questions on topic with your original post.