Flatlander

Peaks Cow Hunt

Anybody been on these hunts the last few years? I am wondering how crowded this hunt gets and if it is wife/girlfriend friendly. My wife and I would like to find a hunt we can take our boys (5,4) on and find a few elk while staying out of the line of fire from others.

Some guys I met on the trail were hiking up to 9500' to find the elk. It took a friend of a friend a few days to get his bull off the top considering all the deadfall as he could not get his horses there. If I were to apply for the hunt, I would only consider the first hunt.

Had this tag 2 years now 1 st year not bad,tough hunt but had fun. Lots dead n down trees. Last year a lot of people in the woods . The elk were real spooked and jumped at the slightest sound. Not so much fun last year. If you do get one tough packing out so be ready.

I had the mid hunt this year. It was hard. Hiked up a hellacious dead fall and found two elk well over 5 miles from the nearest road. And over 1000 vertical feet up this dead and down covered slope. No way I was going to be able to pack em' out by myself. I shot one big cow elk in another area, long story short blood trail petered out and two days of seraching no bueno. They are in there but its a tough hunt. I don't think I even would have seen elk if it weren't for members on this forum who gave me advice. I didn't have the ability to pack out an elk from up near the tree line, so I didn't even hike up into that area.

I have had this tag 6 times and filled them all. My family all togeather has had this tag over 20 times. With all the new hunts they added last year there were definitely more people in the woods which caused the elk to get pretty buggered. Also be prepared to hike ALOT! The higher up the mountain you go the more elk but be prepared for a pack out. I have never got an elk that I didn't have to hike out. I almost never see elk at the base of the mountain especially during the hunts. If your looking for an enjoyable first hunt you may want to look into another unit. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional info.