Sign in to follow this  

GunBroker or Auction Arms experiece

I have a few guns that I would like to sell, and I was curious of anyone's experience with either of these sites. If I sell a gun on there, is it a pretty smooth transaction? I have a few semi-auto .223's and 7.62's and wondered if I sell them, do I need to go and look at all the states that ban this particular type of firearm and make sure that no one buys from those states? Then would be the shipping, Do I just ship it to an ffl in their state and all is good?, or do i have to ship my gun from an FFL here to an FFL there? Any help would be appreciated. Which site is better?

I have received guns numerous times from people on gun broker. I just do the transfers for them and have had no issues. It must go to a FFL for the transfer

The only issue I've ever had was due to payment. I sold a gun on Gunbroker and the buyer bought a money order from his small town bank. My bank didn't recognize the MO and flagged it as potentially fraudulent. In the end, it all worked out. I sent the firearm to reputable FFL, and he refused to release it until the banks got together to verify the validity of the payment. BUT, and here's the big BUT - my bank was extremely sensitive to the money order, and informed me that I could be held liable if I accepted it before they conducted a full investigation.

So, what I learned, is the safest way to do one of these transfers is to use USPS money orders to protect yourself and the buyer.

Check out this link.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/gunsamerica-endorses-usps-as-exclusive-form-of-non-credit-card-payment/

• Like 1

It's been several years since I sold anything on Gunbroker, but when I was "financing" my trip to Africa in 2003, I sold at least four firearms, including my Citori 20 ga.

Each transaction went smoothly and payment went fine, likely because I specified no checks or MOs and mandated that it go through Paypal. With PP, the payment is veted by them, so it's kind of like having it go into escrow. BUT. be sure that the PP payment is not related to GUNS or any auction, for that matter: Just have the buyer submit a general payment to your account. If I recall, there is an "other" option or some such thing to select. That doesn't mean you can't accept checks or MOs; just be sure payment clears BEFORE you ship.

I also required a copy of the FFL for the shipping address BEFORE shipping the gun and then used the USPO for shipping thru Prority Mail. As such, you do not have to have an FFL to ship a firearm to a dealer. I don't believe that rule has changed. Be sure to take the FFL to the PO, however, in case the clerk asks for verification that the name/address is actually an FFL dealer.

And lastly, I had a CYA form I wrote that I emailed to the buyer for a signature and to be mailed back to me with the FFL. It was basically a bill of sale stating that I had sold the firearm to the buyer. It included both of our names and addresses, sale price, description of the firearm, serial number, etc.

I have made several firearms and accessory sales on gunbroker.com over the past year. I like the site and have had no problems. They have a number of tools and tips to help your sales efforts. I suggest FedEx ground for shipping long guns. I use a dealer in Scottsdale to ship handguns which I find to be a major pain and expense otherwise. I prefer to use the 7 day sales option. You can verify the receiving FFL on line. I also call the receiving FFL license holder. I suggest accepting U.S.Postal Money Orders or Bank Cashier's Checks only for payment. If you are going to sell and ship long guns, uline.com sells shipping cartons in various lengths that are specifically for them. Also you can buy bulk styrofoam peanuts on line that are significantly cheaper than any local source. Buy the low static peanuts. They are much easier to work with. These 2 items save you a bunch of time and the hassle of building your own shipping cartons and the peanuts are easy to use and keep the firearmsafe and free from movement in the carton. Don't flinch at the price of cartons and peanuts because if you amortize the cost on a per gun basis it is cheap.

If you want to discuss the overall process send me a PM.