jim

Muley buck still in velvet

I have been chasing a buck that is still in velvet. i first saw this buck the weekend after xmas and again today. He is a big wide 4x4 but he is still in full vevet he shadows the doe herds but will not be agressive allowing much smaller bucks to push him away. My question is will he shed these horns and grow again keeping the velvet all year again? I assume he is some type of cactus buck.

• Like 1

I have a friend who has 2 mule deer bucks that were killed in the general seasons, mounted, in full hard horned velvet. Both bucks were very old and their teeth showed it. The taxidermist told him that the testosterone level in some old bucks is so low that they lose the urge to rut and don't rub. My brother took a big mulie one year that was hard horned velvet but he was missing his testicles.

i have a buck on my wall he was killed in december out by rosevelt a fork in 1996 i heard that if a deer is ill a in the antler growth periode than they dont sprout till later not sure if its true or not

I took a buck a few years ago in november that was in velvet. I did not open up hus nut sack but I do remenmber it was very small. The meat tasted great no gamey taste at all. Good luck chasing him in August if he is still around.