Sign in to follow this  
mje1

Unit 22

Thinking about putting in for 22 this year but im wondering about the terrain, how does it compare to the northern end of 27? Everything Ive read says the access is moderate to difficult, don't know if that is due to rough terrain or wilderness areas. With all the tag increases in my favorite units the 25 tags and high archery success make it a very tempting choice just not sure if I want to chance my 9 points without more info on the unit. Planning on calling the WM this week for some tips. Any help from anyone whos hunted it or knows it would be appreciated. Thanks

I spend a bunch of the rut in that unit every year. I would say the top end for bulls is as good as any unit, but densities over most of the unit are not what you would see in 27. The 25 tags is great but on any given Sat. in Sept. you can expect wall to wall tents and RV's throughout the northern 1/3 of the unit due to its proximity to the valley. Everything from the boy scouts, atv/rhino & lifted truck crowd, hippy hikers, church campouts, family campouts, you name it they are up there. They aren't hunting so that helps but there a lot of recreators.

In regard to the terrain, because this is south of the rim, its more like the southern portion of 27 than the northern. There are a few areas that are pretty flat, but for the most part once you get off the road the country is a lot of big canyons, there is plenty of wilderness but you don't have to hunt it if you don't prefer. There is a bunch of private ground that you have to be careful with. Most of the country is not tall pine stands with lots of big water tanks. Many of the elk here get water from streams so sitting waterholes may be less effective. Chasing bugles is tough because of the terrain and all the canyons, so glassing is your best bet, since there aren't a lot of pines this can be effective. Sometimes you have to glass from the rim and then move down below either the next day or later in the afternoon.

It can be a good hunt, but its definitely not like hunting any other unit in the state. If you draw the tag, you will really want to go up for the whole hunt because it can take a while to get the elk figured out.

Thanks a Bunch flatlander for that info, I really like chasing bugles so that would be a tough hunt and all the recreators would be tough to handle.

3C or 23 is the answer to 22

3c and 22 were the toss up for my 2nd choice, do you think 150 tags for 3c will affect much

3C or 23 is the answer to 22

3c and 22 were the toss up for my 2nd choice, do you think 150 tags for 3c will affect much

IMO 150 tags is not bad at all for 3C. It hasn't been producing 400" bulls like it did 10 years ago, but I would say that is just because it has gotten more popular. It borders the rez so you will always get some giant bulls that crossover. I would say this hunt is probably very similar to 27, but without the remote southern half, although I haven't ever spent a bunch of time in 27.

There are other areas that dont get as many weekend warriors as the areas around the control road!

Terrain can be tough here in 22. It definitly would not be my first choice for an early archery hunt with 9 BP. The really big bulls are scattered thinly over a lot of country. Good luck you are close to drawing something good.