Sign in to follow this  

I am considering putting together a new load for my 7 mag and 300 win mag in Nosler E-tip. A Google search of e-tips shows that most people love them, but a few people report that they just punch a hole through game without a good wound channel.

I currently shoot Accubonds, but wanted to workup non-lead loads for the spring buffalo hunt. The other aspect is that I have been hunting in AZ for the past 50 years with lead bullets and have eaten lots of game meat, the change might be good for me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My 300 likes the Barnes TTSX in 168 gr. I haven't had a problem with them opening up, they create carnage on whatever they hit. they are just plain nasty, you should give them a try.

I have never shot the Etip, but have plenty of experience with the TTSX (which, is the same design minus the rings the TTSX has). The bullets like to be pushed hard. The faster they go, the better they work. I have killed with monolithic bullets from 10 yards to 550. All have been the same result. Caliber size entry hole in, massive destruction, between dime and quarter size exit out.Stuff doesn't tend to go far.

Minus the buck I shot this past year nothing has required tracking more then a few yards. This type of bullet works really well, just drive them fast and hard, they dont NEED to hit bone, but they work much better when hitting bone. They tend to expand more, and do NOT blow the piss out of a shoulder if you hit it. You can eat right up to the hole.

• Like 1

I have never shot the Etip, but have plenty of experience with the TTSX (which, is the same design minus the rings the TTSX has). The bullets like to be pushed hard. The faster they go, the better they work. I have killed with monolithic bullets from 10 yards to 550. All have been the same result. Caliber size entry hole in, massive destruction, between dime and quarter size exit out.Stuff doesn't tend to go far.

Minus the buck I shot this past year nothing has required tracking more then a few yards. This type of bullet works really well, just drive them fast and hard, they dont NEED to hit bone, but they work much better when hitting bone. They tend to expand more, and do NOT blow the piss out of a shoulder if you hit it. You can eat right up to the hole.

Nope, don't need to hit bone, but this past year, my lil bro shot his buck in the butt and it was dead in 20 seconds. I've killed 3 bucks with them and watched my bro smack his, all 4 dead within 15 yards of where they were hit. I dug this years bullet out of the ground, it was 3 in deep and was missing maybe 20% of it weight.

I shot 150 E-Tips in my 7x57 and the two deer that I shot with them died just as quickly as deer have died when shot with anything else. I sold my 7x57 and a friend bought the remainder of my E-Tips because they shoot so well in his 7x57. Fast, 150 grain bullets and 7x57 don't really belong in the same sentence, but the E-Tips still perform like Nosler designed them to do.

Thanks for the information on e-tips and barnes. I tried barnes 20 plus years ago in my 7mag and finally got them to shoot a 5" group at 100 yds. I said I would never shoot them again. I will order a couple of boxes of barnes today and try and work up loads for both the barnes and e-tip. Hopefully I will get one of them to shoot as well as the accubonds.

Listen to Casey on Barnes, I did and my groups shrank. Seat them off the lands atleast .050" They like the jump. Oh yeah and push the piss out of them. The harder you push, the better the groups get. Just have to give your shoulder the ole' pep talk before the range session. My gun I just built, likes them seated .060" off of the lands and 1 gr. short of max load. (180gr TTSX in 300 WSM) I shot a nice buck in the kaibab a few years back with the 150gr TTSX and they work as advertised.

Old buck, if you don't have great accuracy right off the bat, try shortening your oal. Also, like i posted they tend to do better (accuracy and performance wise) at higher speeds.

Nothing wrong with monolithics in my book. With the velocities you should be getting, they ought to open up just fine.