Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Colorado Preference Point System?

Do I need to have a current Hunter Safety Card to apply for a preference point for Antelope? How many points does it take to draw a decent unit?

Thanks,

Adam

To be completely honest there are no decent units in CO. I would save your money and buy a landowner tag in NM or apply in WY. I have 12 pts or so in CO and absolutely nothing to burn them on. That's my two cents I guess.

I'm not looking for a monster. I would be perfectly happy with a 70 inch Goat. The reason I'm interested in Colorado is due to it being close to Arizona compared to Wyoming or Montana. I'm trying to build up points in numerous states so I a better chance to go hunting every year.

If you were born after Jan 1, 1949 then you need proof of a hunter safety course completion not just to apply, but with you in the field as well.

Granted, our top end units may not compare to a top unit in AZ, WY, or NM, but there are plenty of units where you should be able to find a 70+ inch buck on public land that take less than 10 preference points. Check out the CPW's webpage on the big game access program and find an atlas with the private/public and your research will be off to a good start.