Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

Wow, What a weekend...bears and sheds!!

Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

I had one of those awesome weekends. My brother and I planned on scouting for elk and coues, and if I got lucky, maybe find a bear. On Friday I glassed up a couple sheds from the highway and in 1 1/2 hours my brother and I picked up 12 sheds. Then on Sat. we glassed up a big bear but he got into the drainage before I could close the distance. Sat. it rained all day and when it broke we glassed up 5 more bears, but to far to chase. Sun. am we glassed up four more close enough to chase. After missing one big black bear at 397 yards and watching him run into a drainage, we glassed up another bear that came out of that same draw. I was fortunate enough to bring this bruin down. He still went about 100 yards after having his heart, lungs, and liver taken out. Very tough. Anyways the game warden tagged his hide and estimated this bear at 9-10 years old and at least 400 lbs. I was not expecting to have this much excitement this weekend, but it was great. Let's see if I remember how to post pictures.

0818061604a.jpg

0820061019a.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/Art...76/100_0161.jpg

Wow, heck of a weekend. That's a good looking color phase. How was his coat this time of year?

Man awesome weekend. Some great sheds and a great bear. So you are gonna email me the coordinates to where all these bears are right :D

Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

The sheds we found were in Unit 15, and about as specific as I'd like to get for the bear is further south than Unit 15. It is a bear hide away. It remind me alot like AZ Unit 23 were I used to hunt bears, except without one hundred other hunters. It always seemed that everyone else happened to be chasing the same bears I was down there. It was very nice to be able to watch these bears and chase the bigger bears without having to worry about them being spooked by other hunters. The coat was very good for this time of the year, only one spot on his back were a small patch of hair was rubbed, looked like maybe he had done this when he ran under the tree that he died under. He had a brown body with black legs and a black head. Now my attentions turns to finding a good coues and a big bull. About a week left before the arrows start flying. Thanks for the comments.

Your bear has a color pattern very similar to the one I got from the San Carlos several years ago. Your bear would make a great looking rug with the reddish-brown back ringed by black.

Doug~RR

Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

The plan is to get this bear rugged. Anyone know of any reasonable taxidermist. I'm willing to pay for quality work but it seems that some taxidermist are getting a little carried away. I used to want a full body mount, but that was before I got married and had my first son. The bear I got last year was smaller so I just had the hide tanned. If it's to pricey for a rug, I may look at that route. Thanks

I have heard that these guys do a really good job and are still pretty reasonable.

www.majorwildlifestudio.com