I'm new to this site, and I just started bow hunting. I have been a rifle hunter for Coues down in 34A for years and I'm used to glassing all day and stalking for a long shot. I need to learn new skills.

I went up to scout this past weekend in 21 east of Dugas. Liked the canyons and the cuts that feed them, good springs as well, but it looked like an area to rifle hunt. Any advice bow hunting that open country, I'll never stalk into my comfort zone of 40yrds in that country. If is sit on one cut I seriouly limit my chances. I worked back into Pine Mtn, looked better for bow hunting because of the cover, and like that area and the elevation for Whitetail, but all the deer I saw were up on the top at 6000 ft, and it was a 4 mi two hour hike with a 2000 ft climb. Should I hump it in a spend the night on the MTn, so I'm there for an early hunt, if I shoot late in the day I'm concerned with loosing daylight, and humping off the mtn. That would be a lot of gear to hump in and out with a deer. Anyone hunt this area before. I'm going back up this weekend to scout, would love any pointers. Anyone know about the pressure in that area, I didn't see anyone last weekend except the rancher. Rifle hunting as been tough enough over the years, I stressed and excited as to the adventure of bow hunting.

Thanks for any advice,

Chad

I may be missing your point entirely but it sounds like you have already talked yourself out of every idea you thought of. I can't believe that you found your favorite spot in your old area the first time you went out. It probably took some trial and error. There are plenty of places to get you the cover, altitude, and accessibility you are looking for. While I don't recommend my method of looking at maps until your eyes bleed, the right combination of topos, "google earth", and yahoo maps should provide half a dozen places to scout this weekend. As far as the hike goes, sometimes "there is such a fine line between stupid and clever." If I talked myself out of every dumb@##$ hunting idea I thought of, I would never make it out of my truck. Sorry I don't know 21 but I wish you the best of luck. Welcome.

Chad,

I have spent a TON of time on Pine Mtn. I practically lived in unit 21 for 5 years. Maybe this will answer your question. I don't hunt there anymore. The odds are just too low for the effort.

In the last 3 years my buddy and i have missed a few great bucks in 21, all mule deer though. Never went specifically after coues, and it was always in the winter during the rut. It can be real tough to get on deer in that country, and there certainly is no easy button. anyway, I wonder what was the name of the rancher you talked to? My wife's Aunt and Uncle run the flower pot ranch that is North of Dugas rd., and he punches cows all over that area. His name is Gary, missing a thumb on one hand, and is a great guy. I enjoy visiting with him about hunting. He has dogs and chases lions in that area often. Anyway, wonder if it was him.

Rancher's name is probably Shawn Moore, he just took over the T-Anchor Ranch this summer. He's from Camp Verde and a real nice guy. About 30 I'd guess.

Rancher's name is probably Shawn Moore, he just took over the T-Anchor Ranch this summer. He's from Camp Verde and a real nice guy. About 30 I'd guess.

I can't rememebr his name, he looked a bit older than 30 and had dark hair with a handle bar mustache. He was horseback coming off Pine Mtn with a pack mule. Told me about deer by Dry Creek and Tule Creek and said he always saw singles up on the top of the Mtn. I'm sure he referred to Double T ranch though, not T Anchor. After seeing Redbeards post I'm wondering about other spots. Anyway the looking around is half the fun. I just want what every hunter wants, good deer limited people.

Ya Shawn doesn't have a mustache so that rules him out. Not sure who that'd be. Oh well. Good luck in your searches.

In the last 3 years my buddy and i have missed a few great bucks in 21, all mule deer though. Never went specifically after coues, and it was always in the winter during the rut. It can be real tough to get on deer in that country, and there certainly is no easy button. anyway, I wonder what was the name of the rancher you talked to? My wife's Aunt and Uncle run the flower pot ranch that is North of Dugas rd., and he punches cows all over that area. His name is Gary, missing a thumb on one hand, and is a great guy. I enjoy visiting with him about hunting. He has dogs and chases lions in that area often. Anyway, wonder if it was him.

I think I have met your uncle before.....long time ago though, but one of his dogs made friends with me and I found the guy and returned him. He was taking the dogs out for a jog (behind the truck) and they struck a fresh track and took off. The dogs caught and killed the cat( young one ) before he could get to them, but one dog ended up at my truck and was tore up and wore out pretty bad. May be the same guy? It was north of Dugas.

I agree with Redbeard, your odds are lower in 21 than in some other units, BUT if you live close to the unit you can narrow it down where the bucks frequent and increase your odds. There are lower canyons that have "pockets" of Coues in 21, find one of these and scout it thoroughly......It can pay off big! Best of luck, JIM>