Sign in to follow this  
nighthawk

20 or 40moa rail??

My new build in 300ultra I'm hopping to punch targets out to 1mile. So my question is with a 94moa vxiii would 40moa rail be too much ? I need approx 65moa to shoot a mile. Like I said to shoot targets in off season for fun. 20moa be enough to get there? Any advice would be much appreciated. I know my 7mm wearing same scope with no rail is zeroed at 200 with 58.5 MOA used up. So my thought was that 40 would leave me 15 to zero or am I being ignorant ?

20 MOA on my 338 lapua is more than enough to run 1 mile with a ton to spare. The 300rum has somewatt similar ballistics and I would immigine 40MOA would be overkill. My guess is 20moa base is more than enough to get the job done.

• Like 1

94 MOA scope will give you approximately 47 minutes up and 47 minutes down. A 20 minute base would then give you 67 minutes up and should get you to your 1 mile goal, barely. If you want more fudge room, a 40 minute rail will obviously give it to you.

20 MOA is almost always enough especially if your reticle has additional relief.

A mile is a LONG way, happy shooting!

20 MOA is almost always enough especially if your reticle has additional relief.

A mile is a LONG way, happy shooting!

Yes it is far but it's gonna be fun to do it!! But Exspensive to get there as well

I'm not claiming I can shoot that far, but with lots if shooting I might be able to get there!

You can get a 30 moa rail.

desertbull is right. 30moa is probably the way to go considering 30cal after 1000/1100 yards starts to drop quite dramatically.