Sign in to follow this  
flyphsr

draw weight question

If the bow is 60-70 what would happen if the limb bolts were backed out to go less? I was at a shop and the bow was 60-70 and he had it backed out to 50#s and shot it about 30 times. What is the point of having 60-70 or 50-60 if it works fine as he showed me. Is there safty concerns or will it be fine.

certain bows have max turns you can take out safely and still shoot. Most bows perform the best at their max poundage...so they used to say. They now have them that have 40 plus pounds of draw weight adjustment so it all depends on the bow

We'd really need to know the make and model of your bow to answer your question.

If you have a conventional bow with 60-70# limbs and it shoots at 50# something sounds strange to me. As a general rule of thumb it's 3 full turns out from max crank down, and as a general rule of thumb each full turn = 3# of draw weight. There's always room to play so maybe a 70# max limb set can be shot at 72# on the high end and 58# on the low end, but a full 20# swing sounds odd unless your bow tech tweaked your limbs/cables, etc. too.

If you have a reasonable amount of threads in the riser from your limb bolt screws at 50# and it shoots OK, sure why not. But after 3+ turns most limbs look pretty scary far out of the limb pocket on the riser...as far as safety concerns go if it looks like the limbs are about to fall out of the riser then don't shoot it...

Lots of bows will still work like that but they definitely won't shoot properly or the way intended. A bow on an engineering stand point performs best when all fasteners(bolts/screws) are bottomed out. That's the way the bows are designed. They will still shoot but you won't get the performance out of the bow... (Speed recoil reduction and overall shoot ability) I work in an archery shop and get this all the time. Best bet is to buy a bow that the draw weight fits you best maxed out that's where best performance is achieved.

It's a hoyt and there web site says 8 turns out max and as said up to3#s per turn. That seams like a lot to me but leaves room to go up without purchasing new limbs