Sign in to follow this  
Rifle2Bow

Bear hunting question

Is it fairly difficult to obtain a leftover black bear tag. I was planning on another hunt out of state but looks like plans are changing and I didn't apply for the spring bear draw? How bout a OTC tag, are they even worth it? Thx

The OTC tags are great I had 10 bears in 6 days its a fun hunt just hot and miserable

That's really good for the spring! I've only seen one bear on the spring hunt. What's your tactic on these spring bears

Find prickley pair with ripe fruit and you will find bears( at least in the southern units) If you can find good pair fields near a water source you can almost be sure you'll find bears. I personally glass them. Then call them in. I called one in last year with my foxpro from over 1000 yards and shot the bear and lost him. Made me sick and spent a week looking. But one thing I know is the OTC tags are simply amazing if you can find the right spot. I was one of the 20 lucky few to pull a 34A spring bear tag for 2013. It will be a new experience for me since I've only ever hunted over the counter bear hunts but I look forward to finding lots of bears and hopefully a successful hunt...

• Like 1

Wow over a 1000 yard shot, thats really far out there. So you are finding ripe pears in the spring?

Vowell no not in the spring. I hunt the pair fruits In August/september on the over the counter bear hunts. I finally drew a spring hunt this year and plan on focusing mainly on calling but if it becomes repeatedly unsuccessful I might to resort to hunting over springs and water sources as the summer heat increases