Sign in to follow this  
Jay Scott

Moving Bighorn Sheep Video-Unit 22 to Unit 37B Mineral Mtns

This is a great video depicting the AZGFD and their efforts to sustain and relocate desert bighorn sheep. Special thanks to the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society for all of their contributions and support! These sheep were relocated in October of 2012. I got to see there efforts first hand while scouting in Unit 22 for Ernie's hunt.  Helicopter surveys are extremely valuable to our herds.  These sheep were relocated from Unit 22 and 24B by Canyon Lake to Unit 37B in the Mineral Mountains.

View the full article

• Like 1

Very cool video! I really appreciate these types of projects. With the population growth coming into Arizona, many of these populations have been destroyed or limited genetically. These supplements and supplanting of healthier populations into areas of need will genetically assist the long-term future of these populations!

COOL!!!! I grew-up in Kearny, and it would have been VERY cool to have the opportunity to see those critters there when I was a kid! Awesome that they are working on growing the sheep herd there!

S.

:)

My son Kolin is in the video untangling a net about the 5:15 min mark. I heard that the herd is doing good enough that the department is going to offer a tag in the Minerals this year.

I love seeing sheep being transplanted to good habitat that can support them. As a kid I remember in unit 27 the sheep heard getting built up, now there are so many sheep up there that they get killed on the highway more often than they do by hunters, wonder why more tags aren't offered?

Sign in to follow this