Sign in to follow this  
ProSlayer

Hunting as a Religion

No. If you have to think any further you probably have not read the bible or been to church in a very long time.

• Like 1

I'm asking this because I'm in a college class that focuses on religion and pop culture and how different religions have changed to adopt the ever changing culture. The class talks about how things like sports, music and movies influenced changes in different religions. And it also goes into talking the outlines of different religions and how they are all common in some sense then applying that to sports and things that have the same structure. Reason I'm asking is because I was asked to write an essay describing similarities between hunting and different religions and also If hunting could be a religion.

IMO,

I think there are similarities in a broad sense. Everyone has their own definition of hunting and what it means to them, same goes for religion. Both are a very intimate part of a persons belief system and for most people, both are very personal. We go hunting on certain days of the year, just as we go to our respected religious centers certain days. We could go everyday if we wanted but then other parts of our life would get shut off. We have to hold both in great balance and both offer lessons in which we can learn from.

I really don't think you can talk about hunting without talking about nature. We study nature while hunting similar to how we study our religious material while at our personal place of worship, deeply, slowly, and passionately. We hold that there are truths in nature that we will never know, same goes for religion. We practice faith and exercise it when we are in the field by embracing the unknown, just as we do everyday going to work. We question it.

As far as hunting being a religion, that is a tough one for me. I find that my religious views often take over in the morning before a hunt and I send a shout out to the man upstairs to get the day started out on the right foot. I feel more connected to my personal beliefs when I am in the field, glassing miles away, surrounded by nothing, but everything at once, call it a step closer to the man. I think both hunting and religion go hand in hand but ultimately nature and hunting are part of the creation, one step below the penultimate. All of it deserves our respect, dignity, and time.

Great topic.

• Like 1

I'm asking this because I'm in a college class that focuses on religion and pop culture and how different religions have changed to adopt the ever changing culture. The class talks about how things like sports, music and movies influenced changes in different religions. And it also goes into talking the outlines of different religions and how they are all common in some sense then applying that to sports and things that have the same structure. Reason I'm asking is because I was asked to write an essay describing similarities between hunting and different religions and also If hunting could be a religion.

remind me to NEVER let my kids take that class.

• Like 1

I am not religious in any way shape or form, but you bet your butt I've prayed to the Deer Gods on a number of occasions! I think it's a good idea, because we get to enjoy and experience hunting just like our ancestors did (but with WAY better weapons!) And hunting is a way to connect with those loved ones that have passed on. Besides, who doesn't feel at peace while out hunting? But if it were to be turned into a religion, it'd probably have to be some Pagan type ritual thing...