Sign in to follow this  
1uglydude

Unit 21 Fence Project

This past weekend I had an opportunity to participate in a fence modification project in the northern part of Unit 21. I participated as a member of the Mule Deer Foundation, but I understand that the Arizona Antelope Foundation and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation may have also had a hand. AZGFD was there as part of the Adopt-A-Ranch Program, and USFS personnel were onsite to direct activities as well. I apologize if I left out any organizations.

Over the course of a little more than a day, more than 30 volunteers modified or removed several miles of fencing. Our primary goal was to remove the bottom wire from the fences and replace them with smooth wire lifted to 18” off the ground. We also dropped the top wires down to 42.” Research shows that these dimensions provide deer and pronghorn the best opportunity to make it under or over a fence as the circumstances may require. We also installed several H-braces and tightened all of the existing wires. At one point, a group of us broke off and removed an entire corral that impeded access to a nearby tank.

I took my little girl along so that we could enjoy some daddy/daughter camping time. Several others brought children too, and it was a great family activity. All in all, it was a great day. I didn’t take many photos, but here’s a few I snapped.

Making ‘smores around the campfire:

IMG_4951_zps195adf6a.jpg

Posing at the worksite (note the CWT hat):

FenceProject_zps34d6f943.jpg

Getting down to work:

IMG_4955_zps3e998cd0.jpg

Receiving instruction from those in the know:

IMG_4953_zpse57e38f5.jpg

IMG_4954_zps69ad12b2.jpg

Way to go Jack! Good example to the young'uns.