Sign in to follow this  
codywyoming

Wyoming Jan. 2013 Bison

Was lucky on my first attempt to draw a tag, got a cow tag and waited till the last week of the season to head over to Jackson Hole...well at minus 16 it was crazy cold but a 2 mile pony ride at first light and we had a nice cow down. I was lucky as the Bison were just not on public ground very much...they were on this day

post-10786-0-15487000-1366493807_thumb.jpg

post-10786-0-56204700-1366493831_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's Awesome! You have had a fantastic year! Keep up the good work.

Adam

Minus WHAT!!! COLD!!!! I dont have enough cloth of stay warm in that kind of weather! Congrats on your bison! How long did it take you to get if out (assume it was packed out on horseback)?

Minus WHAT!!! COLD!!!! I dont have enough cloth of stay warm in that kind of weather! Congrats on your bison! How long did it take you to get if out (assume it was packed out on horseback)?

LOL cold was not the word...but it was a dry cold! OK it is amazing how you do this...you split it open like any other animal...cut out the rear part..then you kinda dive in as far as you can and get the wind pipe cut...this is where it gets interesting...you then take your lariat and put it around the wind pipe as far as you can get it down, then you hook it around the horn of the saddle and as the horse pulls you cut underneath the cut the sides inside the cavity... before you know it the whole works comes out...really not too bad...then we had a sled with two horses we jumped on the bison and "drove" the bison to the road...we had a life on the back of a pickup so we could lift and skin ASAP as when it is that cold there is a concern about teh meat spoiling from freezing on the surface and not letting the heat escape! After it was skinned we use the lift to load it into the back of my pickup...I have to tell you it looked pretty funny to have a whole Bison in a short bed pickup! The whole process took about 2 and a half hrs from start to finish...not too bad...if you have the right equipment.

LOL cold was not the word...but it was a dry cold! OK it is amazing how you do this...you split it open like any other animal...cut out the rear part..then you kinda dive in as far as you can and get the wind pipe cut...this is where it gets interesting...you then take your lariat and put it around the wind pipe as far as you can get it down, then you hook it around the horn of the saddle and as the horse pulls you cut underneath the cut the sides inside the cavity... before you know it the whole works comes out...really not too bad...then we had a sled with two horses we jumped on the bison and "drove" the bison to the road...we had a life on the back of a pickup so we could lift and skin ASAP as when it is that cold there is a concern about teh meat spoiling from freezing on the surface and not letting the heat escape! After it was skinned we use the lift to load it into the back of my pickup...I have to tell you it looked pretty funny to have a whole Bison in a short bed pickup! The whole process took about 2 and a half hrs from start to finish...not too bad...if you have the right equipment.

post-10786-0-99713500-1367552871_thumb.jpg