Sign in to follow this  
Xman2000

Took my kids Roosevelt Lake and they Smoked me!!!

Hey all as stated last week I told my kids last week I would take them to Rosie and have a boys trip out since it was just the Wife and I the week before last.All I can can say is my youngest Son who is 6 lilttle X talked about this trip all week and my 11 year old was pretty excited to go Bass fishing also .The reason is my 6 year old last year around March caught a 4pounder Bass while sight fishing he did erverything text book and asked begged and pleaded for me to take it to our friend and taxidermist Terry from T&A Taxidermy since his grandpa just dropped a fish off to him a week before .His reasoning was Dad I caught a fish just as big as Grandpa and he mounted it.

So the softee that I am I caved and had it mounted ( who could resist shuch a cute funny claim)since my 11 year old wasn't there for that trip and ever since this is his quest to out do his younger brother. I will have to now do a seperate write up on little X's fish complete with pics on an other post.

Any how this week was really tough we had pavers installed at our house and it turned out beautyfull they finished on Sat. The draw back was the grout from the new pavers and sand got in our pool and I was up till 1 in the morning backwashing and cleaning the water all the while my kids reminding me we have a fishing date in the morning so I told them you guys hit the sack and if you get up and prep the boat move all the stuff out of the way for me to get it out of the garage will hit the lake .Mom was kind enough to pack food and goodies the night before and all there tackle and rods were on the boat ready for action.Well my alarm came and went and before I knew it the kids were at my bed dragging me out with everything out of the way and even my clothes ready to go lol.I feel so blessed there that excited about getting outdoors they made it easy for me to hook up the boat hit the gas station and off we went. The bad part is we got a late start again!!!!! got to Windy hill about 11:30ish and finally launched as soon as we were about to get started there was a guy who lost his boat and asked if we could get it for him,he was by himself and the boat drifted while he was putting his trailer back in the water ,we had a chance to talk to lots of people at the ramp and every one told us that the crappie bite was on at the Tonto end but it was a Zoo (with good numbers of 20 to 30 crappie per boat ) with all the boats so we decided to try the salt end and check out old familair spots.

We were surprised with the lake level and how much the lake changed but it gave us an chance to log all the structure that is out of the water now and put it on some maps we have.So it started out pretty slow till my oldest Jay started to wacky worm and he pegged the first Bass of the day .Needless to say he was stoked and that broke the ice for us since brother had one my littlest one had me put a wacky worm on for him too and bang!!! He pulled one in and now the war was on who was going to catch the most bass

This was and awesome time with my boys and we had one funny episoded after an other on the boat this one was really my fault not makeing sure the proper life vest were on the boat. You see my live well valve went out and I replaced it also this weekend along with new LED lights for night time running light so I took alot of thing s off the boat and then put things back on or so I thought when I was about to leave the house we ran down the check list and said ok Jay did you make sure we have all the life vest on he said oh yes,bait, tackle ,snacks ,food and even your cigars dad .so I said man they are awesome but I didnt check so when I got the kids to the ramp we find out the right number of vest are there but only adult sized one were there so I have the ones that you can were all daywith the c02 cartrige and put it on my 6 year old explained to him how it worked and not to pull the string (so quick short lession) well somewhere in the trip he decieds to count how many bass he had VS> his big brother he opens up the livewell and is looking at the fish little did he realized the cord to the c02 got tocked in the cracks of the boat seat with his knee and when he went to close the lid of the live well and step away we herd this load hissing niose and poof the life vest inflated and blew up like a huge Daisey flower plus we was stuck in the seat and could not get free .He freaked and I had to clam him down and get him free from the blow up vest put an other one on as you can see from the pics over sized to max .No one said a word for like 10 min then Jay burst in to laughter for like 30 min we all had a laughed over it but I promised lil X I would not post the vest pics lol.

Jay really did awesome this trip he wanted to get more practice learning the foot trolling motor and flipping witch get me time to work on all my new and old tackle reorganize clean up ect and also tie and retie knots for the kids plus they were makeing me look bad I hadnt pulled in a single fish till dusk and since we got there late they made me stay till the absolute last min we had a blast and was a complete blessing to be out there with my kids all fish were caught on wacky worming in the shallows and 15 feet of water the toatal for the day was 11 bass for the day( its all we were targeting since some one wants one on the wall).Jay came in first with 5 bass for the day followed by Lil X with 4 bass and Dad way behind with 2 :(

All in all it was an awesome time and was really cool to see that a number of these fish had been caught before plenty of hook marks in the mouth .Good to see catch and release is alive and well at Rosie. After we made sure my livewell was working properly at the end of the day we did the kids favorite parts the photo shoot and then let em go back home in the water,and the good new was I didnt have to worry about cleaning fish LOL and the kids iceing on the cake was having a late night dinner at Jerrys on the way home from Globe not to mention Mom would have my hide if they came home with out any supper.

Jay all smiles

post-4762-0-60018700-1366700270_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-96113800-1366700447_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-34917600-1366700693_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-84449900-1366700723_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-97306300-1366700774_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-66946000-1366700802_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-85763500-1366700829_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I really enjoyed reading that write-up this morning. Kudos to you for working so hard getting the kids in position to catch those bass. I'm sure when they grow up they will return the favor Dad. This is what it's all about and the fishing Gods will reward you a thousand times over. I know now when I see you have posted it's going to be a good read with lots of pictures. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

:)

TJ

You are a very lucky man and your kids are lucky to have you! They'll remember trips like that for the rest of their lives. Outstanding job and thanks for the awesome write up and pics! JIM>

• Like 1

Ha ha thanks every one the kids were so happy thats all they talked about replaying the day while they had brealfast/dinner that night it was there choice on a well deserved day and place to eat.And they were completely out before we hit miami lol ;) :P