Sign in to follow this  
jmb1314

Unit 1 or 27? Mule Deer

Hmmmm ... declining deer population due to predation ... Mexican Grey Wolf release program ... can anyone say MISTAKE!!!!

I have hunted 27 on and off for the past 15 or so years. There are still some mulie bucks in there, but sure a lot less than there used to be. Couple of years back we hunted for several days and only saw a couple of small guys.

But if you ask the experts from LA and NY they will tell you that means success. See the deer and elk were eating all the trees, so now the trees are doing better. . . but oh wait half of them burned down because we couldn't log so . . .

I remember the good od days of unit 27, and seeing as many as 100 mulies a day. For whatever reason, those days are gone.

What bothers me, is that the whitetail are increasing, which is a good thing. The bad thing, is G&F keeps increasing the permit numbers for the whitetail hunt in 27. It is up to 600 tags. Way too many in my opinion. Unit 27 does not have many roads below the rim, which is good. However, overcrowding in the more accessible/popular areas, diminishes the quality of the hunt.

Not really sure where you guys that have spent the the last 10 or 15 years are hunting, but there are still some great bucks there?

just cause people that live there doesn't mean they know where the bucks are still a really good unit you can't hunt the same areas in some cases you did 10 years ago if you do you might want to look around.

Seldom Drawn

Not really sure where you guys that have spent the the last 10 or 15 years are hunting, but there are still some great bucks there?

just cause people that live there doesn't mean they know where the bucks are still a really good unit you can't hunt the same areas in some cases you did 10 years ago if you do you might want to look around.

Seldom Drawn

No disputing there are still good bucks to be had. Just a much lower deer population than yesteryear.

There are areas of that unit that probably never see a hunter, and quite possibly deer that have never seen a hunter. If I didn't have a bad back, I would backpack into some of those areas just to see what quality of bucks may be around.

• Like 1

/>Not really sure where you guys that have spent the the last 10 or 15 years are hunting, but there are still some great bucks there?

Seldom Drawn

I'm with you, I see lots of deer in in 27 and 28, I also grew up there. There are smaller numbers but if you know where to go its very good.

/> Not really sure where you guys that have spent the the last 10 or 15 years are hunting, but there are still some great bucks there?

Seldom Drawn

I'm with you, I see lots of deer in in 27 and 28, I also grew up there. There are smaller numbers but if you know where to go its very good.

Do tell. :rolleyes:

Haha, if a member of this sight, in good standing needs help ill share a few places, I'm sure others will to. I'm not one of those "my spot" type of guys but again I don't want everybody and their brother knowing.

Haha, if a member of this sight, in good standing needs help ill share a few places, I'm sure others will to. I'm not one of those "my spot" type of guys but again I don't want everybody and their brother knowing.

A Member in good standing pretty much counts me out. :lol:

If I am lucky enough to get my Unit 27 Mulie tag this year, I am going to a spot I haven't hunted in some years. There are some good hideaway's for a smart old buck or two.

I'm sure were both hated equally haha!!! I remember as a kid we'd always draw the any antler 27/28 tag. In December if I remember correctly? It has changed since then. 27 has turned into a mini kaibab as far as popularity. Good luck drawing your tag, if you get it let me know, I'll show you some places.

There used to be two "any antlered" deer hunts for Unit 27. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was between 2000 to 3000 tags between them?

There was a 5/7 day late October hunt, and then a 10 day early November hunt.