Sign in to follow this  
mklong40

Colorado River Toads Out Early

Just a heads up for yall. My shorthair came in last night messed up. I thought it was a snake at first. I grabbed the flashlight and as soon as I walked into the back yard I see a CO River Toad the size of a plate chillin on my patio. We have had no rain to speak of. I have no idea why it would be out this early. I thought I would give you all the heads ups......Keep your doggies safe!

Had my shorthair in a tub of ice and flushed his mouth until 3am this morning. Somehow he made it through the night. Seems good this morning.

That is weird they are out so early! Usually takes a solid 2-3 rain storms or more before they are out!

I saw my first rattlesnake of the season back in early March when the highs were still less then 80*.

What would you do if this where to happen to your dog, for those of us that dont know??

I would hate to see this happen to my shorthair! Glad yours is okay!

Several years ago, my neighbor's weener dog got ahold of a CO toad and started getting foamy at the mouth. He quickly grabbed the garden hose (didn't have time to take off the pistol-type nozzel), jammed it into the dogs mouth and gave him a 5 second shot. That little weener dog looked like a swolled up tick for those 5 seconds. When he pulled the nozzel out, a bunch of water gushed out and the dog deflated to normal size. Dog was fine after that.

Around that same era, my son messed with a toad, then rubbed his eyes. He hit the floor screaming. I put him in the shower and flushed his face real good, then called Poison Control. That's what they said to do.