COUESAZ

Goal Zero solar gear

I have been studying up on rechargeable AA and AAA batteries as well as a way to give my cell phone a power boost when out in the field. I purchased a set of Goal Zero nomad 7 solar panels and a guide 10 power pack. The solar panels fold up and fit in a pocket in you pack or they can hang out side your pack to charge as you hike. So you can charge the power pack that will charge 4 AA or AAA batteries. Or you can charge it in your car and at home before the trip.

Cool things about the solar pannels is it can charge any battery pack that takes USB cables or you can plug in 12 volt car adapters and run things or charge them that way.

Now the best thing is the power pack is about the size of an IPhone. It has an LED light on it that will run for an unreal amount of time on the batteries. I have charged my iPhone from it from 6% to 100% twice on one charge. Even after it stops charging your phone or camera or whatever you need it still runs the led light for hours upon hours. Also it will still power your phone just will not charge it after it drains down that far. Hook it back to the solar pannel and in a few hours its charges up again. You can hook your phone to the power pack and the power pack to the solar pannel and charge them both at once. They range from small solar and power pack kits all the way up to ones that will power home appliances.

You can put any Nihm rechargable batteries in the power pack and charge them. It does not have to be goal zero batteries. I would recommend them to people to use.

I have a set for me and a set for my wife. They have upgraded the guide 10 with the guide 10 plus. It charges faster and lasts longer.

Wow that's a pretty sweet set up I see they are about 100 dollars not a bad price. is that the average price I seen it on eBay? defiantly gonna pick 1 up

Yes brand new they run around 120ish. I think the best way to go is the guide 10 plus adventure kit. It souls come with everything you need and it should be the updated pannels and power pack.the guide 10 plus is updated from just the guide 10. I have one of each and the plus out prefirmes the plain guide 10. Lots if videos on YouTube. Also good to go to the goal zero site and when you look at each product you can scroll down and read what people say about it. They put the unhappy customers in there to. And then under that is questions and answers on each item. They are in Utah and just as good to deal with as badlands packs.

I have been looking at the Goal Zero products for several years now. Thanks for your review. I haven't bought any yet because it just seems I can get by without it, but I am sure eventually I will get some of their gear.

I was the same way Amanda. But now with my kids and wife doing more outdoors with me I had to make the move. With all the cameras and iPods and cell phones. Not to mention everything else that takes stinking batteries. We have moved totally to rechargable batteries. So it was just the right time for us. They even have a piece that is made to charge the batteries for camcorders as well as the DSLR camera batteries. We have also gone to all LED style lights and picking up some rechargable flashlights from goal zero. I just got a bigger set of pannels called nomad 13. I am going to pick up their Sherpa power pack it powers thing like laptops and that size. I want to end up in the long run with my toy hauler trailer running totally off solar power. And just use my on board genset when really needed. We plan on doing a lot of use this weekend over in New Mexico. We have become solar geeks hah. Even like to cook in our solar oven a lot.

Thanks for the review. I just picked up the Guide 10 adventure kit from Sportsman's, on sale for $99. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Just give the battery pack the initial charge. Only took 1.5 hrs. For good, high capacity rechargable batteries check out http://www.mahaenergy.com/batteries/ They sell the Powerex 2700mAh. Been using their batteries for 5 or 6 years now. They also have low self-discharge batteries.

What solar oven do you use? How long have you had it? I hear good and bad things about them, but sounds like you are happy with it?

I use rechargeables too, but I just charge using my vehicle and carry lots of spares with me for my owl work. Don't want to run out of light while working at night!

Good review!

I have the older version and have been using it for a couple of years. It is a great backup solution for backpacking but I actually found myself using more in the boat. I could hook up the iPhone and run music through portable speakers all day and it was very easy to have it sitting out on the deck. I also use rechargeable batteries and sprung for Recycko higher end batteries, these and the Eneloop cost more but work and last FAR longer than the energizer, duracell ones you see hanging on the rack. They actually last longer than the Alkalines in most cases and a REALLY long time in game cams. The +2000mAh rated batteries are a big difference than the cheaper ones. Amazon Basics now has one for less and they look like they may just be a private labeled Recycko battery from the reviews.

I have the Nomad 13 Solar Panel and Guide 10 plus Battery Pack and both work great.... The more I rely on my iPhone and In reach instead of my GPS I really find them to be great accessoryies to help keep you connected. I find that trading my in reach/smartphone for my GPS is what makes me feel safe as it gives me more options and the ability to call for help. With it the added battery or solar is a must when your hunting solo....

Costco has the Goal Zero with the charger and batteries for under $100 i was looking at them last night

If that's for the guide 10 plus adventure set I would buy that for sure. That's a 30$ savings. If its for the switch 8 then that's about the going price. The switch 8 is not bad just for extra power for you cell phone , but it does not charge batteries. That's why I went with the guide 10 because it has many uses and will charge most rechargable batteries in AA and AAA.

I had a chance to use them both all last week. I was very impressed with both sets of the guide 10 plus adventure kits. I have a set of the nomad 13 panels now as well and I am planning on getting a Sherpa 50 or the new Yeti 150.