Sign in to follow this  
cessna

Louis Dees Desert Bighorn

Many years ago (60's I think), there was a large Desert Bighorn Sheep taken by a man named Louis Dees.

I remember hearing about it when I lived in Arizona. I recently ran into a man who claimed to have a relative

who now has the mounted head. Is there any place I can search to find out information on the hunt and maybe

Mr. Dees. I'm not sure where to go with this, but it seems interesting. I told the man I would seek out information.

Thanks for any help.

According to the Arizona Wildlife Trophy book, Louis R. Dees took a 187.0 ram in the Kofa Game Range in 1965. Both horns were over 40" long. Looks like it would have been #1 in the AZ record book when it was first published in 1970, I believe.

AZBOb, I looked also in my 1970 Arizona Wildlife Trophy book. I'm going to see if I can get a look at the mount. I have the photo from the record book. Apparently it's been in a basement

or something. I don't have enough of the story yet. It makes for some interesting detective work though. From the photo it looks like a wonderful ram. I really hate to think of it disgarded

in a basement or something. Thanks for the reply. I also looked in Saad's book on Arizona sheep, nothing.

Thanks, more information for the file. Interesting it was in a Texas paper.

I've got a copy of Tom Saad's book Kofa Kings. Tom has a full page photo of the Dees ram and another page devoted to it and the Rudd ram also taken on the Kofa in 65. Horn lengths, base and 1st quarter measurements are mentioned for both rams. The Dees ram is still the biggest known sheep to come from the Kofa. Book claims the ram was taken in Surprise canyon.

This is from an early Arizona Record Book.

LouisDeesSheep.jpg

• Like 1

Swivelhead,

I don't have the book Kofa Kings, I do have Saad's book Desert Bighorns. I'll have to find myself a copy.

Desert Bighorns is really well done. I found a photo and a short mention of Surprise Canyon in the Bighorn

book. Thanks for the head's up. Meanwhile I'm drawing a blank on getting to see this mounted head I was told

was the Dee's ram.