kennyazman

Becoming a leftover hunter

Great advice Jim!!

Oh, and Ylclaret, to like a post, simple click on the gray "like this" button at the end of the post. You have to logged in for this to work.

Here's an old video of a buck I shot using the same tactics I'd mentioned above. I can't remember if this was a leftover tag or not but it is an Oct. hunt in my favorite leftover unit.

The country was low lying rollers surrounded by bigger mountains or ridges. These rollers ran lengthwise East to West and the North sides of the fingers were thick and shady all day. A lot of the other hunters would focus on the big ridges and mountains surrounding this area but nobody was hunting these low pockets or glassing close enough into them to really pick it apart. Sitting back at a distance it was clear that bucks from the high pressured surrounding hills could find safety in these low pockets so the plan was set.

We hiked around to the farthest North finger and started slowly working South, cutting each finger in half and only glassing the North, North-East facing slopes. Each time we would near the crest of a finger we would crawl over and glass the opposite shady slope a little at a time as it came into view. Once we had it decently covered and settled into position we would then set up the tripods and pick it apart. It was as I was on my belly glassing the opposite side of a ravine that I first glassed the rump of my buck in his bed. Eventually I noticed his rack as he flopped his head and he had no clue we were laying across the ravine from him. He being unaware allowed me to get setup and thoroughly glass the surrounding area for any additional bucks which there were none. The shot was easy and the whole hunt went exactly as planned which was really cool.

Bucks being in bachelor groups during the first hunts is another reason why I love early hunts. Find 1 buck and there's a good chance he has a friend or two nearby and you then get to take your pick! Always, if you have time, check the surrounding area of a buck to make sure his older brother isn't close by!

This thread has me all worked up to hunt Coues in Oct!!!!

Here's the video, it's not the greatest quality but cool none the less and is one of my favorite bucks!

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/jkmullins/media/Coues/Jimbos07Coues.mp4.html

• Like 2

Awesome video Jim! This is getting me pumped too! I'm excited for draw results to come out now just so we can see the leftovers.

• Like 1

I'm ready!!!! So COOSEFAN, what is your opinion on which unit to hunt??? 35B or 36B???? I have experience in 35B and have a taken a couple bucks down there. Is 36B worth changing units??

I'm ready!!!! So COOSEFAN, what is your opinion on which unit to hunt??? 35B or 36B???? I have experience in 35B and have a taken a couple bucks down there. Is 36B worth changing units??

I love both those units and not sure which would be better. I've probably seen bigger bucks on average in 36B tho. Both will have tons of hunters but both have tons of areas that get overlooked. I actually see less trash and illegal traffic in 35B than 36B, but that could just be the areas I hunt. I've always felt safer in the 35's for some reason but have no facts for why that is, I've had my share of experiences with illegals there too.

My only advice would be to avoid leftover tags in 36A. That's been the hardest unit for me to figure out and I've since given up on it and swore I would never go back! Ha! I know there are some "honey holes" in there somewhere but I've never found em' and more times than not folks have a hard hunt there. It's easy to find deer, there's a TON of does, but finding a branch antlered buck can be a huge challenge! They are there tho but from what I've found, they are on top of the biggest mountains or way out in the flat Muley country where it's pure luck jumping one and getting a shot off!

Them's my honest opinions for what it's worth ;)

• Like 1

Reading this thread has got my hopes up for this year now! It's looking like this might be my brother's and I route this year, and we have never bought leftovers before so I must ask, where can I find information on leftover tags and the units they are in?

• Like 1

Reading this thread has got my hopes up for this year now! It's looking like this might be my brother's and I route this year, and we have never bought leftovers before so I must ask, where can I find information on leftover tags and the units they are in?
After the draw AZGFD will post up the left over tags. Good luck.

I love both those units and not sure which would be better. I've probably seen bigger bucks on average in 36B tho. Both will have tons of hunters but both have tons of areas that get overlooked. I actually see less trash and illegal traffic in 35B than 36B, but that could just be the areas I hunt. I've always felt safer in the 35's for some reason but have no facts for why that is, I've had my share of experiences with illegals there too.

My only advice would be to avoid leftover tags in 36A. That's been the hardest unit for me to figure out and I've since given up on it and swore I would never go back! Ha! I know there are some "honey holes" in there somewhere but I've never found em' and more times than not folks have a hard hunt there. It's easy to find deer, there's a TON of does, but finding a branch antlered buck can be a huge challenge! They are there tho but from what I've found, they are on top of the biggest mountains or way out in the flat Muley country where it's pure luck jumping one and getting a shot off!

Them's my honest opinions for what it's worth ;)

Thanks Boss!! Yes, I agree, I feel pretty safe in 35B. I am not sure why but I do. We've always had good luck locating a few bucks too. I love going to new places though so 36B is looking more like the place to go. Im' like 98% exicted and 2% nervous as all heck. OR maybe it's 98% nervous as all heck and 2% excited..??.. Thats what makes this stuff so much fun!!! LOL... My son drew tags up north though so I don't have to worry about taking him down there...

Hey, Thanks again for the advice and if we end up in the same unit, I'll buy you a beer in camp... :)

35b each year we run into illegals, border patrol bombing through our camp to catch drug runners through the night (which is a little awkward), glass bails of weed, o and the everpresent border patrol blimp overhead watching every move...lol. If you dont mind all that the hunting can be fun but definitely challenging.

Well...I got one!! I'm pretty excited. My first attempt was at the 44 tags that remained for unit 32. when I didnt get one of those I had basically given up but somebody talked me into putting in for a 36A late november tag. there was only 23 tags left as of yesterday and I sent the envelope yesterday morning. I called today and I got one. Based on what Ive heard on here about this unit its not going to be the best hunt but I'm still just happy to be hunting. I don't exactly know where to go but it looks like there are 3 big mountain ranges to choose from. My main concern is the illegal activity that goes on down there. Just happy to be hunting again even though its just a leftover. who knows, maybe Ill really like this unit and then I could do this every year.

Some sound advice from ylclaret (JIM).... Just to add. A lot of bucks that feel secure in the hills also like to spend their nights in the flats. The smarter bucks will start moving towards the safety of the slopes just prior to the crack of dawn. If you can, position yourself where you can catch them as they start to creep into canyons or the slopes. They will feed along the slopes up into the ocatillo line and bed down during the heat of day. They will start their trek back to the flats in the afternoon.

Best advice... get the best optics you can afford. I can't tell you how important a good set of optics are. Where I hunt, I talk to hunters every day during the season who tell me they were out all day and didn't see anything. I actually hunted the same area one of those hunters did the same day and glassed several bucks and over two dozen does.... I know you said you have 15x, but make sure they are quality optics.

Good luck this year.