Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Can someone explain MRAD's to me?

I see this term used on scopes I would define as long range or tactical but haven't any idea on what it means.

I would like to upgrade to a newer scope this year to replace the 20yo VXll on my 7mag and definitely want something I can use on game out to 500 yards using a reticle with dots of more than one crosshair.

I see this term used on scopes I would define as long range or tactical but haven't any idea on what it means.

I would like to upgrade to a newer scope this year to replace the 20yo VXll on my 7mag and definitely want something I can use on game out to 500 yards using a reticle with dots of more than one crosshair.

http://www.opticstalk.com/understanding-mrad_topic22732.html

It's been a while since I've had to do math but if i remember correctly.........

MOA (minute of angle) and MRAD (milli radian) are esentially the same thing, just different units of measure similiar to an inch and centimeter. with MOA a circle is divided into 360 degrees, then each degree is divided into 60 minutes then each minute is divied into 60 seconds. For MRAD, or milli radian, where milli is 1/1000 and radian is just an angle measurement, you take your circle draw the radius ( from the center point to the edge). imagine the radius you just drew is a string and take that string and wrap it around the circle. then draw a point from each end of the string the the center of the circle, the angle created is a radian, and if you divide that angle into 1000 pieces you would have a MRAD.

Long story short. If you calc out what a minute of angle is at 100 yds its pretty darn close to 1 inch. if your scope is 1/4 moa adjustment each click is pretty close to 1/4 inch (or .25) @ 100 yds. if you calc out what a mill radian is at 100 yds it should be about 3 inches (if i remember right). if your scope is 1/10 mrad adjustment each click is moving about .3 inch @ 100yds

Yes, what blade said!

Google milliradian and you will find all kinds of info.

All of my scopes are MRAD and justs about every app out for shooting will do MRAD or MOA and some have IPHY (inch per 100 yds) as well. If you are just starting out then I would probably go MOA just because for most it is more intuitive. One thing to consider with a new scope is that the reticle and adjustment be the same system it simplifies things a bit to work with only one system. If you buy a shooting app such as Shooter it will help you understand what is going on with windage and elevation (also spin drift, and coriolis) you can see the graphs for your bullet flight. You can also make range cards ahead of time for convenience.

Out to 500 you can probably get by with a ranging reticle and may not even need tactical knobs. There are lots of good systems I don't own a Zeiss scope but their reticle s and glass are great. They are IPHY which may be the simplest to remember. A straight MRAD reticle may be a bit more difficult to sort out since it is not just a simple set of hold over or windage marks.

Happy shooting!

Thanks, I appreciate all the responses. I am seriously looking at the Zeiss Conquest HD 5 in 3-15 and the Z600 or Z800 reticle.