COOSEFAN

One down.......One to go!

I came home to get packed for the early rifle hunts and wanted to share a little of our experiences from the past week.

My buddy Craig and my Bro' Matt have Bull tags and we had an awesome hunt thus far! Both of them passed up big bulls on opening day....my brother even passed up Craigs bull on opening day at 40 yrds right after they videotaped him and a bigger bull fighting with a fence between them! Craig passed up this bull at 38 yrds opening evening! (these pic's are off of the video)

craigpass.jpg

craigpass1.jpg

On the second day, a good friend of ours, Abram, Craig and I went in after the bull that my brother passed up on opening day. Abram would be the caller, I the video guy, and Craig.......well....he's the lucky S.O.B. with the tag! The elk came up faster than we anticipated and had to set up fast. Abram was back about 75 yrds and I was behind Craig by about 5 yrds. A few cow calls had a cow running in on the left of Craig's tree and the bull running in on the right side of the tree! This bull was on Abram's string and coming in fast! I saw the huge thirds and knew it was the same bull from the day before and Craig already had his mind made up.........this was the bull for him!

craigshot2.jpg

And this is right when the arrow hit the bull!

craigsshot.jpg

The hit was a little low and the arrow veered sharply left inside the bull causing a one lung/liver shot. The bull ran about 30 yrds and stopped and stood for about 2 minutes. Two Jackrabbits ran in front of him spooking him and he ran back towards us and then away stopping at 60 yrds, and then laying down for good!

craigsbullstuck.jpg

This bull has huge bottom tines and actually has better tops than most of the bulls we found. He gross scores 356 3/8 and has close to 6" inches of broken tips! It also has the common "devil horns" we usually see in this unit and makes him a 7x7. This was Craigs first Archery Bull tag and he showed amazing restraint passing up some good bulls to end up taking an exceptional one! The video is Awesome too!

craigsbull4.jpg

This is most of the "Mullins Crew"

craigsbull1.jpg

My brother is still up there trying to kill this bull and one other that we couldn't get on tape yet. We worked this bull for several days and this was the closest we came on Mon. morning. He has 17 cows and my brother belly crawled to 60 yrds of this bull this day and only had a shot at his butt, cows kept getting nervous so we backed out. Matt has a high minumum score in his head, and won't settle for anything less, so hopefully it pays off!

mattpass2.jpg

mattpass1.jpg

This bull has fairly short beams for what he should be and smaller tops but he does have 6 tines that are all at least 20"inches, and his tops are bigger than most this year, what a Bull! Hopefully my next pics are of him with my bro's tag on it! Thanks, JIM>

Yeah....that's the arrow. We thought the hit was more broadside than quartering to us, but the broadhead is actually in his left hind leg on the opposite side. I think the arrow glanced off his shoulder as he spun, you can kinda see how far back his right front leg is when the arrow hit. The shot was about 25 yrds, the video makes it look farther, but it was also a little low and thankfully farther forward to compensate for the angle. It took about 30 minutes when if the hit was about 4 inches higher...it would have taken about 5 minutes! Not a bad shot though.

thanks for sharing man...sweet pics and good storie...thats some open country for elk hunting alright...hope your bro gets that massive bull... :D

Guest Ernesto C

Cool right on dude!! Good job and congratulations to every one........that's team work.

Ernesto C

Thats awesome,congratulations it sure is a rush to have a bull come into your calls.I can't get enough of archery elk.I hope their still going at it next weekend,my buddies wife has a muzzleloader 22 south tag,again congrats and good luck to your brother.

Great pics and story Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats to the hunter. Love the way that bull flares out on his thirds.

Hope your Bro sticks that bull he's holding out for.

The pictures are great man! Like the one where you are drawn back and the bull is coming in. He has great devil horns!

Awesome pictures and story as usuall thanks Jim. Good luck to your brother hopefully his strength on holding out pays off.

Great job Jimbo, wish I had some cool pics like that to share!