Sign in to follow this  
JACK

SCOUTED FOR MOM AND BEARS

MY MOM WAS BEGGING ME TO GO DO SOME SCOUTING FOR HER OCT. HUNT SO ME AND A BUDDY WENT DOWN THIS WEEKEND AND SAW A FEW DEER HERE IS THE BIGGEST BUCK WE SAW. HE WAS ABOUT 3/4 OF A MILE AWAY AND WE WERE GLASSING INTO THE SUN SO THE PICS AREN'T THAT GREAT BUT YOU'LL GET THE IDEA.

BEARPAW010.jpg

BEARPAW011.jpg

WITH BEAR SEASON STARTING FRIDAY I FIGURED I'D CHECK OUT SOME NEW SPOTS I HEARD ABOUT. SO I WENT AND DROVE AROUND TIL I FOUND SOMETHING I THOUGHT BEARS MIGHT LIKE AND I FOUND SOME OF THESE, DO BEARS EAT THESE?

BEARPAW013.jpg

BEARPAW014.jpg

SO AFTER I FOUND THE ACORNS I STARTED WALKING AROUND THE AREA LOOKIN FOR SOME SIGN AND BELIVE IT OR NOT I FOUND SOME!

BEARPAW009.jpg

BEARPAW001.jpg

I FIGURED THAT THEY WOULD NEED TO WATER AND THE TOPO SHOWED A FEW TANKS IN THE AREA SO I WENT AND CHECKED THOSES OUT. THE FIRST TANK HAD A SET OF SMALL BEAR TRACKS ON IT ,HOW CUTE!

BEARPAW008.jpg

THESE DEFINATELY WEREN'T THE SAME TRACKS I SAW IN THE ACORNS SO I WENT AND CHECK ANOTHER TANK AND IT HAD TRACKS ON IT TOO! AND THEY WEREN'T THE TRACKS I SAW IN THE ACORNS EITHER! THEY WERE THE BIGGEST BEAR TRACKS I HAVE EVER SEEN!!

BEARPAW004.jpg

BEARPAW003.jpg

ANYBODY KONW HOW TO JUDGE A BEARS SIZE BY HIS TRACK? BY NO MEANS AM I A BEAR EXPERT BUT I THINK THIS IS A BIG BEAR, THOSE ARE 300 ULTRA MAG SHELLS NEXT TO HIS TRACKS! THE FRONT TRACK WAS 6 1/2" ACROSS THE PAD AND THE HIND TRACK WAS ALMOST 9" FROM HEEL TO TOE. NEEDLESS TO SAY I KNOW WHERE I'LL BE FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY, MONDAY.... HOPFULLY I'LL JUST NEED FRIDAY! :rolleyes:

I have been told a few times that a bear track that is 6 inch. wide will stand 6 feet tall....6 1/2 inch. wide will stand 6 and a 1/2 foot tall :) Dont know how true that is but I have seen more bear tracks in the low country than ever... ;)

That is a fantastic acorn crop. Havent seen one like that since 2003. When those turn yellow you will have that bear and all his bros, sis', cousins, lapping them up off the ground all day long.

I think I might have to go off the program and go bear hunting.

The way I understand it, 6" pad equals 6' squared. What ever it is that is a big bear.

I shot a bear that had 6 inch pad and squared 6feet seven inches and scored 20 and 10/16 ths. But the 6 inch pad was on the bear itself not in the mud. It is going to be wider in the mud then the animal.

Noel

I shot a bear that had 6 inch pad and squared 6feet seven inches and scored 20 and 10/16 ths. But the 6 inch pad was on the bear itself not in the mud. It is going to be wider in the mud then the animal.

Noel

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does it mean when you say "squared .....such and such"?

Bruce

Bruce,

I think they are talking about how big a rug it would make like 6'x6-1/2'. Not sure, I don't know that much about it either.

I do think any bear that looks grown should find an arrow.

Skull measurements are the recognized measurements, like antlers with deer.

Squared= the bears measurements, wingspand or from the tips of the claws on one paw across to the tips of the other paw squared by the measurement of the nose to the tip of the tail. Hope that explains it.