Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Drew Unit 29...

Are you planning on camping? Any conerns with illegals and drug runners? I got this unit too for the first time in ten years and am wondering if camping is a good idea?

We are planning on camping. I am moderately concerned with camping/leaving camp unattended but won't have alot of choice. There will be 4 of us though so that makes me more comfortable having a few people who have my back around. A friend of mine and I will be headed down there next weekend to do some scouting, and will be camping in tents but we will be well armed and contious of our surroundings. We will get a better feeling of the situation next weekend hopefully.

We will probably be hunting up higher in the range in the more northern end of the range so that makes me a little more comfortable.

I can tell you that the route used by the UDAs runs up from Horseshoe canyon in the south...up over Monte Vista peak....down into W Turkey Creek via the Pole Bridge Trail then back up towards Raspberry Ridge running north through the higher terrain and the monument. However, having spent my entire life down in those mountains I have not had an encounter yet with any illegals. We have had numerous break ins when our cabin was still standing prior to the Horseshoe 2 fire and I've had trail cam pictures of them. We now camp since our cabin was burned down and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

You will be south of I-10 so there will always be the possibility of having a problem with UDAs/smugglers. We have hunted Unit 29 for many, many, many years. Good luck this year.

• Like 1

I can tell you that the route used by the UDAs runs up from Horseshoe canyon in the south...up over Monte Vista peak....down into W Turkey Creek via the Pole Bridge Trail then back up towards Raspberry Ridge running north through the higher terrain and the monument. However, having spent my entire life down in those mountains I have not had an encounter yet with any illegals. We have had numerous break ins when our cabin was still standing prior to the Horseshoe 2 fire and I've had trail cam pictures of them. We now camp since our cabin was burned down and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

You will be south of I-10 so there will always be the possibility of having a problem with UDAs/smugglers. We have hunted Unit 29 for many, many, many years. Good luck this year.

It sounds like we will be farther north in the Range then this travel path you describe so I am hoping all will be ok, but only time will tell.

Thanks

The hunt went well except for the fact we didn't get any deer down. We hard 4 hunters and each of us saw at least 5 doe, 20 turkey, and one guy saw a bear. We all enjoyed our hunt and it was great to get back down south in 29. The fires have really done a number on the area though. We didn't hear alot of shots during the season so I am guessing alot of people had similar luck as us, and had a nice hiking with a gun trip instead of a successful hunting trip.

We hiked our butts off for a bunch of out of shape air conditioning wholesalers. :D

We introduced one of my co-workers to hunting for the first time in his life, and I think he enjoyed himself. I am not sure he wants to hunt/hike with me anymore after I drug him all over some nasty stuff, but he says he wants to be on my elk tag when that draw comes around.

One thing is for sure in 29. The bucks are hiding well, and there is an active population of black bear. We saw almost as much bear poop as we did deer.

We also did not see any signs of illegals or mules where we were, and saw relatively few hunters in our little section of the world.

• Like 1

Anyone on here please advise. I am more of a northwest backcountry style hunter, never hunted the open country of the South West. I drew tag for Arizona mule deer unit 29. Here's what I know:

Coues deer are up higher than mule deer. According to F&G muleys hang out lower than 5400'ish in that unit. 

Some advice I have received is hunt the rolling edges of the wilderness/public land as elevation decreases. 

I really prefer a conversation. Please text or call me anytime at 757-701-6266. I would really appreciate some advice, not looking for any honey hole information just some general advice. 

By nature of what I do, long range shots are of no concern pending weather conditions for ethical reasons. 

Thanks in advance

Joden 

Keep away from Cartel hikers, city campers, and bears and youll be fine down there. Deer everywhere and Border Patrol, oh and cows. Only place Ive been checked by Game warden.