Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

F-Class shooting

I have a Savage model 10 308 that I'm interested in building into a F-Class gun. Would like some suggestions on anyone who shoots this class. Is this a solid platform for an F-class gun or should go another direction?

Thx,

Adam

How does the rifle shoot? What are your intentions for competing in F-Class. That is a plenty capable rifle....

I bought the rifle used. We have tried 10-15 different loads and can not seem to get anything better than 1 inch groups. I know the rifle should be capable of much bettet groups.

I'm not trying to break any records, but I would like to have a competitive f-class rifle.

I'm considering a better stock, barrel, bedding/ trueing the action. Would it be worth putting that much money into the gun or would I get better results on a different build?

The gun is a stock model 10 308, acustock and fluted heavy barrel

Adam

Adam,

You need/should watch this series. Ryan did an awesome job documenting his journey to precision. I'd say if you have a 1MOA gun, you likley aren't going to get it done no matter how good you shoot. I saw a 308 5r for sale on this forum that would make a great f-class gun. I though you were selling it....

Big- shot f-class. it is awesome. i learned a lot . it was fun . i even won a couple of times. i shot against some savage rifles. if what you end up with is like a model 12 lrpv that is one of the good ones. there is a site just for savage shooters. the advantage is that you can rebarrel a savage yourself i believe. nore info on longrangehunting and savageshooters. do you know the match schedule??

That savage rifle should shoot much better than that even with a factory barrel. I have a couple savage barrels that shoot in the .2s and .3s. That's pretty dang good for factory barrels and I don't have one that shoots over half moa sporters or varmint contours. That being said I think you just need to find the sweet spot and do your due dillegence on brass prep. The devil is in the details when you want superb accuracy. Seperate your cases by volume, debur your flash holes and uniform your primer pockets. Get a bullet comparator to measure your bullet seating depth to the ogive of your bullet and keep a consistent seating depth as best you can. Learn your windage being as your shooting a 308 the wind will be your biggest enemy. The 155 or 185 berger hybrids would be my bullets of choice for there exceptional BCs in the 308 bore size. I would try these things first before I dropped the cash on a new barrel.

Thanks for the info guys. We have not tried any of the Berger bullets yet, because we have not been able to find any. As soon as I get some I will give them a try. Any suggestion on starting loads? What powder do you like the best for 308?

Adam

My personal favorite is IMR4064 but Varget & 4895 are also popular powders for the 308. I prefer berger bullets because they consistently offer the best BCs which helps buck the wind and because my match bullet is also my hunting bullet. That being said they can be picky when it comes to shooting good. You might want to try a sierra match king until you get your accuracy issues figured out. If the bullets in the green box don't shoot then you know you have a problem.

varget , I4064 and r-15. but others are good too. the 308 is one of the most forgiving cartridges to load for i have found, after the 222. work up a decent load . load up 75 rounds and shoot at RIO august 24. you will love it. roninflag

BB, if you want some Bergers, let me know which ones you want. As my daily commute is well over 100 miles round trip, I can hit up several places throughout the week and can snag you a box or two. I've seen the 185 vld's within the last week or two.