Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Anyone Have a Barnes Loading Manual Handy

I was getting ready to load some 7mm-08 rounds tonight using 140 grain Barnes TTSX bullets with IMR 4350 powder. I thought I had the min and max powder weights written down but now can't seem to find them. Can anyone with a Barnes manual help me out?

Thanks

That powder is awfully slow for the 08. I always used powders like Varget and 4064 for the 140's and 760 for 168 Sierras. I'd start at 41.5 gr and go up from there looking for pressure signs but you will probably end up with a compressed load depending how far off the lands you stay.

I can get you the info tonight, but I agree with PRDATR. I'm starting to develop loads for my daughter with 140gr TTSX. I'm trying RL-15 first and then will try IMR 4064 and/or 4895 if the RL-15 doesn't work.

He can probably reach max velocity equal to that of 4064 but it will take a few more grains of powder. I only used my 08 for hunting once and that was with 110gr's on a Javelina hunt. It spent all of it's life as a High Power Silhouette rifle.

Crap. Forgot to get it before I left town. Will get it tonight when I get back. Barnes' website data only has two powders listed. PM me a reminder if I forget. I can copy/scan the whole page when I'm at the office tomorrow and email it to you if you send me your email.

Got your PM. Will scan the page today and email it off to you.

I just opened the book to scan it and realized that Manual #4 does not have the load data for IMR 4350 in it. You'll have to use the data from cbyrant's post in the older manual. He's right, it should still be correct. Sorry, I thought it was in the book. I can still scan the page and send it to you if you want to see what is included for the TTSX.

If you haven't sorted this out yet, the Barnes No. 3 manual (which doesn't show any data for TSX or TTSXs) lists 40.5 grains of IMR 4350 for a starting load and 44.5 as the maximum load for their 140 grain bullets. It's interesting that the No. 4 manual doesn't list any loads for the 4350 powders. This is probably as good a reason as any to look for more suitable powders for the 140 TTSXs that you want to use. You can download the latest data from the Barnes web site. This makes it easy to get data for not only specific bullets, but it also means that you don't have to buy the manual just to see what your options are for just one or two cartridge/bullet combinations.