royerj1

How do you prevent lense fogging on bino's

Hi All, so this is the first season scouting with my new bino's. First thing in the morning all 4 lenses were fogged up and pretty much useless for the first 20 minutes of glassing. I put them on the tripod and pointed them at the morning sun and watch the fog slowly dissipate. The fog was on the outside of the lenses, not inside. I left them out in the elements the night before instead of putting them in the tent so they would at least be the same temp. It wasn't cold at all either, 5,000 elevation, 35B near Sonotia. These are good glasses and was told this shouldn't happen. Any ideas on how to prevent this? Is there a lenses safe anti-fog spray that could be applied?

BTW, saw plenty of bucks and the first critter I spotted was a bear, really cool!

Thanks in advance,

John

My problem is just the opposite, when I put them up to my eyes they fog up so what I try to do is keep my binocs warm, inside the truck on the way to the hunting ground or if you're just hiking from camp I put them inside my truck and turn on the heater that way the binocs are warm and they don't fog up when i put them up to my head, 35b has alot of moisture right now so it probably fogs up more now than during dry years.

put a couple of those chemical hand warmers in the binoc case, near the lens, before you head out in the morning.

DB- good idea about using the chemical handwarmers in the bino pouch.

Also, wipe the sweat from your face and eyelids before glassing.

The antifog creme that snow skiers use on the goggles helps. I do not know how safe it is on the coatings.

RR

I use Parker's Perfect on my Swaros. Just a drop on each lense then a quick wipe with a lense cloth. I do this every morning before I start glassing. It's worked great for me. Oh and by the way before I put anything on my lenses I call Swarovski first. Parker's Perfect was recommended by their techs.

Hey Mike, where can I get Parkers Perfect?

Jim,

Their web site is www.parkersperfect.com or you can call them at 1-800-884-8005

The stuff works great.

Great info guys, thanks for the input. The Parker's Perfect sounds like what I'll try as it was ok'd by the Swaros techs. My bino's in question are their 15x56's, and they seem to be pretty sweet once they cleared up, I was just concerned about what to use on them to help this problem.

Any ideas on where to buy the spray near Tempe/ASU? I found their website and they have an online special that I might try.

elkhunter, It was really wet in 35b as you mentioned. I had a puddle on my bag when I woke up. The tall grass we walked through was as high as your thighs in spots and wet. There was some type of weed/flower that attached to your clothes and you had to peel it off constantly. Mosquitoes' were out all day. It was some tough walking. You couldn't pick your legs up high enough to get over the vegetation, you just kind of shuffled through it. Yah I know, kinda sounds like a whine to me too!

Once that grass dries off it's going to be a scary fire season.

Thanks for the info,

John

Hey Mike, where can I get Parkers Perfect?

Jim,

Their web site is www.parkersperfect.com or you can call them at 1-800-884-8005

The stuff works great.

Thanks, I'll get some! (wish I had it in Alaska!) JIM>

Great info guys, thanks for the input. The Parker's Perfect sounds like what I'll try as it was ok'd by the Swaros techs. My bino's in question are their 15x56's, and they seem to be pretty sweet once they cleared up, I was just concerned about what to use on them to help this problem.

Any ideas on where to buy the spray near Tempe/ASU? I found their website and they have an online special that I might try.

elkhunter, It was really wet in 35b as you mentioned. I had a puddle on my bag when I woke up. The tall grass we walked through was as high as your thighs in spots and wet. There was some type of weed/flower that attached to your clothes and you had to peel it off constantly. Mosquitoes' were out all day. It was some tough walking. You couldn't pick your legs up high enough to get over the vegetation, you just kind of shuffled through it. Yah I know, kinda sounds like a whine to me too!

Once that grass dries off it's going to be a scary fire season.

Thanks for the info,

John

Hey John, I have the Oct. tag and am too busy to scout, but we are planning to backpack in for the whole hunt........did you have any problems with snakes? I'm a little worried now thinking about all that tall grass! JIM>

Hey Jim, I was constantly looking for snakes as I pretty much had my nose to the ground till I stopped walking to take a breather or glass a little, or both. We never saw any but I'm afraid your going to step on one before you see it, that's how thick this stuff was. Snake don't bother me as long as I can see them.

What day you going up Jim? I'm hoping to be there Wed afternoon.

Hey Jim, I was constantly looking for snakes as I pretty much had my nose to the ground till I stopped walking to take a breather or glass a little, or both. We never saw any but I'm afraid your going to step on one before you see it, that's how thick this stuff was. Snake don't bother me as long as I can see them.

What day you going up Jim? I'm hoping to be there Wed afternoon.

I think on Wed. as well. I have been out of town so much I don't know for sure, my hunting partner is Shortpants and he has been away as much as me, so we are just going to "wing" it and see what happens. I have never hunted up high like we plan too this year, but if plans get messed up, I have a few spots down low that should produce. I just hate walking in tall grass in the desert! I have already been "shot-up" with anti-venin before and it is not supposed to work again, so I need to avoid the snakes! :( JIM>

Good luck on your hunt Jim. Maybe we'll run into each other in the lower lands, no overnight hikes for me. I'll hike all day if there's an awesome lake to fish at the end of the trail though!

John

Hey Jim i bought a pair of the Snake gaitors that are the softer cloth. They go to my knees and cover over my top of the foot. they say most snake bites are to the top of the foot. They took just a bit to get used to but I would rather have them on then get nailed by old Buzz tail. I only use them in certain areas and high grass is one of those. They are light weight and sometimes go in my pack for the bad areas.

Hey Jim i bought a pair of the Snake gaitors that are the softer cloth. They go to my knees and cover over my top of the foot. they say most snake bites are to the top of the foot. They took just a bit to get used to but I would rather have them on then get nailed by old Buzz tail. I only use them in certain areas and high grass is one of those. They are light weight and sometimes go in my pack for the bad areas.

I have some of the soft and the hard shell ones, the hard shell ones suck...dig into your skin. The soft ones I have are fairly heavy....I look into some lighter ones, thanks.

John, I'll keep and eye out for ya, that would be cool to meet up, hopefully your packin' out a buck! JIM>

Now that we're finally done with those darned elk Jim, we can go play with some cooz! :D I'll be sure to let you lead the way while we're hiking so you can find the snakes!