Sign in to follow this  
NWhunter

Lesson Learned....Touche Fort Huachuca....Touche

Just learned today that contracted employees who work on the base are not allowed to hunt it. Apparently I misunderstood the base memo. I thought I was good so I put all my eggs in one basket so to speak and scouted nothing but the base. Found some nice deer and great spots but it looks like i'm hosed as of right now. I'll definitely never do that again, looks like it's back to the map and one bonzai scouting trip tomorrow before the opener. Have a couple areas in mind, but never really scouted them for hunting. Owell, I'm enjoying learning what AZ has to offer and learning some new areas should be a fun challenge. Anyways, just thought I would vent a little to my fellow hunters. Good luck all.

- NWHunter

Looks like you need to give those on-post spots to someone who is eligible and I happen to know someone off the top of my head that will gladly exchange off post info via PM

I would double check that. As far as I know civilian contractors and their family's can hunt. The big fat dude that gives out the gun permits at the gate used to hunt every year, and he was a civilian. I know this cuz he used to give me crap about hunting on there as a guardsman. Used to piss me off because he was a civilian giving me a hard time.

/>

There's alot of good land in the 35's. I'm sure the base is better due to less traffic but you'll find some good areas down there.

I haven't hunted off post before, but my guess is the deer get less pressure then they do on post. They pound them during the dec rifle hunt on there. 125 dec tags on that little place.

I was told yesterday at the sportsmans center on post that only department of the army civilians, retirees, and active duty could hunt. Along with being a contractor here I'm also assigned to a reserve unit on base. Maybe the individual giving me the info was mistaken, ill have to look into it.

Doesn't change the fact that they are the ones who sell the base permits. I just read a base memo and it sounds like I may not qualify after all. Besides what I listed earlier, seems like the only other group allowed to hunt are non-appropriated funds employees. So like the civilians who work on post at places like the gym, mwr facilities, bowling alley etc. At least I think that's what a NAF employee is. This is all new to me, I just got out of active duty and I'm still getting used to this whole civilian thing.

The guy at the Sportsman's Center was right on the money according to the 2013-2014 Hunt fact sheet for Fort Huachuca. Contractors cannot hunt big game on Ft Huachuca.

That sucks man. I would have thought they would allow a reservist assigned to the base to hunt in that area. I'm still hoping one day they would allow contractors. Dang, I wish I was still considered a legal dependent, there are so many good areas you can just drive up to.

Ya, not going to lie I was a little disappointed when I heard the news but this is going to allow me to gain further knowledge of surrounding areas, which I probably wouldn't have done if I could hunt the base. I accept and welcome the challenge of finding some new ground. Hopefully I'll be able to post my success in the coming weeks. Good luck all!

- NWhunter

Good luck out there NW, plenty of awesome deer out here in 35A. Just got to put in the effort to get to them. I'm sure you'll probably come across a good few places rather quickly.

Scooter, good bumping in to you the other day. Sorry I couldn't stay to chat and was a little pressed for time getting to work. Nice to actually meet another forum member. If we bump into each other out there sometime we'll have to kill some time chatting. Had I stayed and chatted like I would have liked to I would have had to call in to work, lol. Wouldn't have been a short conversation once I get to talking coues deer.