Sign in to follow this  
pstrman

New to this

This is my first year hunting Coues deer with a bow. I have not had much success with my bow as of yet. I have tried hunting elk too but must admit my freezer has been empty.

But last night I finally got as shot off as night was coming, but missed at 50 yards.

I feel bumbed that I missed but excited to have drawn and fired. The adreniline rush is much greater with a bow than rifle.

So why is the let down of missing with a bow much greater than missing with a rifle? A miss is a miss right?

you are not the only one, i think is because when you are ready to shoot you feel like you can almost touch them.

keep trying and good luck.

IMO it's much harder to get within bow range, that being said, when you do get there and miss on a opportunity like I've done too many times, it HURTS!

Congrats on letting one fly, I'm sure its a safe bet to say that you're now hooked.

• Like 1

It hurt's is right, fee emotions I have never felt before this morning. This is why I hunt for new experiences.

Last year, I missed four different bucks at very comfortable ranges for me. I have been bowhunting since 1994 and have taken a few deer back in NY. I shoot ALL the time and I broadhead tune my bow obsessively. Heck, I even used a rangefinder. I've learned the following: When God wants that animal to be yours, he will make it so. You just keep after it and you will be blessed soon enough.

• Like 4

Getting that first shot off is where it all starts. Just think how long it has taken you to get that far. This why it's called Hunting and not Killing. I consider it "Paying your dues". I hunted for several years before I finally got a shot off, and missed. I tried to learn why I missed, and correct these mistakes before the next shot arrived. I have now taken several deer here in AZ and Kansas, but I still miss from time to time, and the feeling of emotions can be overwhelming at times. Just learn from the mistake of why you missed.

Hi, is this Brian? If so...it was nice meeting you. When we talked that night, I didn't realize you got a shot. It is not easy getting within bow range of a coues, let alone successfully drawing...and actually getting the shot. You are well on your way.

Brad

Hey Brad, Yup it's me. When we left the mountain I was trying to remember if I told you that I had a shot. Sorry. Looking forward to getting another try. Good Luck this weekend.

Guest oneshot

When you do finaly connect, it will get better, not really easyer, but your confidence will soar, when you see you CAN kill a deer with a Bow (beware of over-confidence, but know that for thousands of years, man has put down game with stick and string)... Good Luck and keep the faith...

Well didn't see another buck over the weekend and now it's time to wait for December and January. Gonna spend some time learning more about these avasive critters. I am not a person who is looking for honey hole information but would appreciate any help for a newbie getting started. I have hunted nearly all my life but again bow hunting and techniques are new to me. I have a ground blind and purchased a couple cameras which I have never used before.

I expereinced a lot of new things these last couple weeks and am now hooked on these mighty avasive critters.

I know cameras have a tendancy to disappear but was wondering if anyone is leaves their cameras out during rifle and muzzleloader seasons or when would be a good time to place them.

Thanks

Like others have said, getting a shot off at a coues buck with a bow on your first year is already an accomplishment. And unfortunately misses are almost inevitable. Some things that have helped me are: Lots of practice, all year long. When you get an animal in range don't think about hitting the 'Deer' with an arrow, I have made poor shot by concentrating on hitting the animal when I should have been concentrating on hitting a small spot within the kill zone. like they say "aim small, miss small." Don't concentrate on anything besides the small spot you want to hit, you can enjoy the antlers later. and when you practice on a target, practice getting anchored, relaxed and on target quickly. Randy Ulmer says that if you at full draw for over 8 seconds, practicing or hunting, your form goes down hill. And as hard as it is, even when your body is shaking with adrenaline, keep your mind calm. Anyway, I hope it works next time. The harder you work the better the accomplishment feels. God Bless.

hunting coues with a bow is very tough ... I was lucky enough to shoot once the first time i went after them ... but i missed as well.