Sign in to follow this  
couesmagnet

nosler partition long range bullet?

. Is there a reason to switch from a nosler head to a better ballistic coeficient head.

No, , if the Partition shoots good at long range, then a few inches higher or lower is going to make NO difference.,

Is the better ballistic coeficient head more accurate than the nosler, or does the higher ballistic coeficient just mean it shoots flatter?

Every different gun/bullet/load combination shoots differently. The higher BC does mean a bullet will shoot flatter given the same muzzle velocity, If you really want to try to improve your long range performance, I would try some of the bullets that are made for the job of hunting.

Before logging on the net today, I got off the phone with a friend getting a (second hand) report on another friends elk hunt, and his experience with "long range hunting". Seems he tried those "Berger" bullets and a Huskama scope on a guided hunt. It took him 5 shots to put the bull down. When they got to the elk, all 5 shots had been placed right, and all 5 had blown up like varmint bullets, producing very poor penetration. ,

. Is there a reason to switch from a nosler head to a better ballistic coeficient head.

No, , if the Partition shoots good at long range, then a few inches higher or lower is going to make NO difference.,

Is the better ballistic coeficient head more accurate than the nosler, or does the higher ballistic coeficient just mean it shoots flatter?

Every different gun/bullet/load combination shoots differently. The higher BC does mean a bullet will shoot flatter given the same muzzle velocity, If you really want to try to improve your long range performance, I would try some of the bullets that are made for the job of hunting.

Before logging on the net today, I got off the phone with a friend getting a (second hand) report on another friends elk hunt, and his experience with "long range hunting". Seems he tried those "Berger" bullets and a Huskama scope on a guided hunt. It took him 5 shots to put the bull down. When they got to the elk, all 5 shots had been placed right, and all 5 had blown up like varmint bullets, producing very poor penetration. ,

I hate hearing that. What was the range and what caliber was he shooting?

Like mentioned previously every bullet SEEMS to have its pros and cons. I see lots of people arguing over all of the hoopla involved with them, whether it be BC's, velocity, bullet performance (eg bullet retains most of it weight on impact, or bullet blows up on impact). At the end of the day IMO, none of that matters unless you can actually hit what you are aiming at.

My general consensus is "SHOOT WHAT THE GUN LIKES!!!" All bullets are designed to do the job, most of it comes down to the personal preference.