AzHuntingAddict

Average Height for Coues

What is the average height from shoulder to brisket on a coues? I have heard anywere from 18" to 22".

I am taking my son out for his first big game hunt in a few weeks. I have been working with him on shooting and sighting for some time now. I am putting together a index card for ranging using a BDC reticle like how a mildot works. Here is an example.

COUES-RANGE_zpsc93f9d43.jpg

I figured this group here was the best place to ask. Cheers.

My coues buck a couple of years ago was a small one so the only average I have is that one. Just looking to make the hunt for my boys as fun as it can be, and with an ineractive kind of thing it always helps. I need to pick up Tony's book.

18" on a coues would be huge. I'd be looking at 13-14" for a mature buck. At least in the southern units I hunt.

have fun and good luck.

Mike

• Like 1

Great Idea to practice with Mill Dots if you have them or something similar. I did this year and Used them effectively. I also shot my mill dots at paper from different yardages just to make sure:-)

• Like 1

I dont have a long range rangefinder, just the archery 100 yard one. Was hoping to use the mil dot feature, but need to have an average to use as a known target height. How big was your buck you just took bstpeter?

He was about 15" his antler spread was the same as his spine to bottom of his ribs when I was cutting him up. I would recommend 14" to 16" on a standing coues. Mine was bedded down and I had a range finder I could only see the top of his back neck and head. Judging a bedded deer might be tricky depending on your view.

I tagged out early Saturday morning In Unit 33 on a small 3x3. I'm guessing that I got about 40#'s of meat when I boned him out in the field.

He taped out as follows;

Chest - Shoulder to Chest 13". Girth 32"

Height - Toe to shoulder 30"

Length - Chest to Butt 35"

I tagged out early Saturday morning In Unit 33 on a small 3x3. I'm guessing that I got about 40#'s of meat when I boned him out in the field.

He taped out as follows;

Chest - Shoulder to Chest 13". Girth 32"

Height - Toe to shoulder 30"

Length - Chest to Butt 35"

Good info, thanks...