Sign in to follow this  
macknnc

my about me stuff...

Hello folks...my first post here...(and if I am in the wrong spot for it, please tell me..I went through that on another board once and it was god-awful.) I'm 63 and do not hunt any where nearly as often I used too...(back issues) but did made one hunt for Coues over 30 years ago, prowling around the Chiracahua (sp?) Mountains in Az 6-7 days...never even saw one..just some tracks...

But one of my boyhood mentors/heros was Jack O'Connor and he loved the Coues and his fasniacation rubbed off on me, though as I said, to this day I have never laid eyes on a living Coues, and actually seen very few mounts...so...

Of course, here in my home state of North Carolina, we are a long way from Coues Country, but despite this, despite a somewhat limited (shall we say) income, despite my age, another hunt of the Coues is on my 'bucket list'...

So I am trying to locate as much info on the Coues as possible. I've found several books, (thank you Amazon. What did we ever do before computers?) But my reading is still not giving me a good grasp on their diet and how their habits differ from my local whitetails...

any info will be gratefully appreciate

Welcome! This site has a ton of good info. Look in the Coues biology area and look through all the old post. Just start reading through all the post on here and you will gain a lot of good info, even peoples stories in all the Coues hunting threads. Also, try the game and fish website. They have a section somewhere that explains the history of Coues deer and along with a lot of other info. Hope you can make it back for a hunt sometime and good luck!

Prdatr: it was actually closer to 35 years...1974 or 75 as I remember it...Me, "Old Faithful" (a sporterized Lee-Enfield with a 2 3/4 power scope) 150 gr handloads, a small pack...wandering all about that range...

Welcome. This book will give you a starting point and just spend as much time on this website as you can. If you hunted the Chiricahua's 30 years ago we probably walked the same hills and washes.

http://store.coueswhitetail.com/how-to-hunt-coues-deer-book/

+1 on the book and the welcome. I've lost track how many times I've read that book! :D

Prdatr: it was actually closer to 35 years...1974 or 75 as I remember it...Me, "Old Faithful" (a sporterized Lee-Enfield with a 2 3/4 power scope) 150 gr handloads, a small pack...wandering all about that range...

I was still living back in NY then. I didn't move here until Christmas of 76. Too bad you didn't see any deer, I've seen both types in there and back in the 80's you could get two rifle tags down there.

Any more so the deer herds are managed to get the mo$t hunterS in the field for opportunity with multiple rifle and archery hunts rather then actual hunter success or quantity of deer with as many as 9 separate hunts in a single unit. The deer never get a rest and it is very hard to scout a unit prior to hunting it without a actual hunt in progress.

Even though I didn't get a deer I don't regret a second of that hunt. Among others, I ran into a very old prospector who was looking for some old long lost mine (you know how those stories run, I'm sure), and we shared a cup of coffee and talked and he swore sixty ways to Sunday that about 10 years previous to this...(so about 64 or 65) he had still seen an occasional wild camel...interesting guy, really!

Welcome to the site macknnc. A lot of good people here with a lot of info. I learn something every time I log on