Sign in to follow this  
macknnc

Pardon the dumb question but I'm real new at this...

Just discovered this site, though I have been interested in the Coues for quite some time.I was abig Jack O'Connor fan in the 1960s into the seventies and he wrote quite a bit about the Coues.

But I live in North Carolina, a long way from Coues country, and I am real curious about some stuff...for an example...the Whitetail deer is a 'browser'...so what does a Coues browse on? I did one hunt for them in AZ back in the mid '70s and really did not see much of what my NC whitetail hunting would lead me to call 'browse'...so what do they nibble on?

Coues deer eat a huge variety of plants. Browse just means any shrubby bush that they will eat and there are many species of those. The species they use most changes during the seasons and elevation where you are hunting. mesquite, catclaw, manzanita, evergreen oaks, mountain mahogany, ceanothus/buckbrush are some of the favorites. But they also eats lots of forbs and many times during fall hunts I see them eating fruits on the barrel cactus.

if you check out this page you can see some photos of what coues habitat looks like. http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2012/05/coues-deer-habitat/