Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Freezer Help

I have a Freezer Sears Kenmore upright....probably 10 years old maybe 12.

It gets covered with that white frost ice up on the top coils and the first shelf coils about every two months and quits freezing.

Any hints on what I can do to keep that from happening?

New freezer time?

We used to have one that did the EXACT same thing...I would have to get a blow dryer out once a year and clear the whole thing off. if it doesn't have that frost control there is really nothing you can do. We a new OLDER model upright from a store 2 years ago as a gift from my in-laws. Its a cheapy freezer but that no-frost mechanism is worth its weight in gold.

I'd say sell what you got and invest in a new one if you got the $$

How often does it get opened? If often, not much you can do. If however it is opened very seldom, you might have a bad gasket/

seal around the door. That can be repaired. Good luck.

+1 on your freezer possibly getting opened too oftened. In the summer my kids open the freezer often for Popsicles which results in heavy frost in my 20 yr old upright freezer. I just make sure I defrost it a couple times a year, with one time being just before I leave for a hunt.

I deal with this a lot in maintenance on Frig/freezers. A bad seal can cause it. Dirty Evaporators. Some units have a thermistor which is a heat strip that is supposed to melt ice buildup on the coils. If it is not functioning you can get the ice and temperature swings.

Keep the coils clean, just as you would in an A/C unit. You can buy coil cleaner and/or, a gentle scrub brush, and you can also blow it out with compressed air