Sign in to follow this  
Bholmes

opening day buck late on story

It was a rough one day but worth every minute, We arrive at our spot we wanna hunt to find not only our spot but the entire mountain crawling with hunters, head to spot #2 and the same thing covered with hunters so we head a bit further down the ridge and begin glassing at daylight about an hour in my buddy spots a nice buck feeding away from us and towards the other hunters about 5 minutes later they spook him and hes headed straight toward us but makes a turn at about 600 yds and heads away from us and outta sight, so down the ridge to the next high point we go its now mid day and getting hot so im glassing every piece of shade i can find and nothing so i head down into the canyon for a closer look as im watching a doe thats bedded down hoping her man or even son might pop up i see 3 flashes in the corner of the binos and in a closer look its 3 bucks running fast and flagging up and over a ridge about 1000 yds away so i follow them get to the ridge and start to glass again and nothing in sight, its now hotter and im thinkin i need to start heading back to the truck but decide to glass one last shady hillside and about 5 minutes later boom there is a buck bedded down about 700 yds away so i move across the ridge and up to another one to get in position to shoot, I range him at 250 yds and let er rip, buck down!! Here's where it gets ugly, im by myself in the bottom of a nasty canyon so i gut him out put him in the shade gps his location and start heading back UP to the truck which took about 1 1/2 hours when i get back there my bro n law and i decide to drive down the road to get to a closer place for a shorter pack out we make it about 100 yds if that and slide off the road and we r stuck, now i gotta call my buddy (thanks again Levi and silver goat!) he makes it to the top of the mountain in record time and pulls me out and down the road we go, its now dark and we still gotta get my deer out so we start hiking and after what felt like about 20 miles in the dark there he is, back to the truck we head and after what felt like now a 30 mile journey we make it back about 930 pm and for the ultimate slap in the face a flat tire on the truck so we change it and head out. Like i said it was a rough one day, we both woke up with blisters on our feet and wore the heck out but it was well worth it and i cant wait for next year!! id do it all again!

post-8799-0-27148800-1383444150.jpg

post-8799-0-24579300-1383444153.jpg

post-8799-0-48555100-1383444157.jpg

post-8799-0-10343800-1383444167.jpg

Yeah buddy...great job,story and buck! U da man Holmes. And that Levi guy is alright too...max