Barnesboy

Running bobcats

I have a question for any one who might know. Could you use dogs to run bobcats like you would for lions? I was just curious about that and thought it might be cool to try. Thank you

It's a natural consequence of running dogs. Sometimes you get lions, sometimes you get bobcats, but you always have a blast!! Dogs will follow whatever cat they can find tracks of.

So its a good possibility that if you got stopped by game and fish and said you were running bobcats with dogs they wouldnt fine you or get you for poaching?

it IS LEGAL to run bobcats, so no you wouldn't get fined or get caught for "poaching" as long as everything else was in order.

My dog treed a bobcat! And she isn't even trained to do it.

Found a stray dog in 2009, not exactly a hunting breed. That dog somehow has a natural ability to corner and "tree" anything that gets in the yard. If she'd only stay near me when walking off leash she'd make an awesome hunting partner. She can't even behave on-leash. But I digress- I'd LOVE to go on a hunt for lion/bobcat behind dogs sometime before it is completely outlawed.

Well I have a lab mix. He is a year and half and i would like to try and make him in to some sort of a hunting dog. I was thinking starting him small with squirrels and rabbits. Then try to get him on to bobcats. All am waiting on is for the vet to confirm he is healed all the way from getting cut and ill start working with him. Thank you guys for the helpful information on the subject too.

Just throwing this out there since I have been on many lion hunts and bobcat hunts with dogs, it's not easy to get a dog to chase bobcats. Yes you can train them to do it but it's a lot of work. Just to buy a dog that is already trained to hunt bobcats costs thousands of dollars. I have a friend who bought a dog that is trained to chase bobcats on dry ground for $8000. Some dogs are much better at training and others it is impossible to get them to chase anything but elk and deer. Which of course you don't want. And if you're going to chase a bobcat I wouldn't suggest using a lab or any other type of dog but a breed of hound. Blue tick, red tick, red bone, walker, plot, something like that if you really want a good bobcat dog.

• Like 1

Now, I know some folk talk a tall tale and this may be something of that sort, but I have heard over the years the occasional story of somebody getting/finding a dog that is just a natural hunter. Stories usually claim a dog can be taken upland birding and waterfowling and just seem to instinctively know what to do. Often times the story will add that said dog also trees coons and cats like a natural. I don't know so I can't confirm, but those stories do exist out there.