Sign in to follow this  
ndaniel

Caliber for coues?????

Just curious what you all think is the lightest caliber to hunt with for coues? I have my hunt coming up this weekend and will be using a buddy's .243

Thanks for any info

A .243 is a great coues rifle that has better ballistics than most people realize. Make sure you shoot it ahead of time and find your limitations. Shoot straight and have a blast!

A 243 if a great round for Coues deer and no way is it too small. My son Ty age 10 just took his first deer and his first elk with a 243. The elk was a huge cow at 200 yards and the deer was a Coues spike at 500 yards! I belive many people on this site use them. What hunt do you have?

Lance

I also used a .243 on a cow elk, at 100 yards. She only went about 10 yards. Great caliber for coues too. Ive shot a few mulies with the 243 and my dad has shot countless mulies and coues with it as well.

It's bullet placement and not caliber that you should worry about.

Years ago I hunted southeast of Ajo in Sonora on a friend's ranch. His workers had a single-shot .22 rifle with which they killed everything up to unbelievably huge mule deer.

However, the ideal rifles for animals the size of a Coues deer IMO are:

.222 Mag

.22/250

.220 Swift

6mm Remington

.257 Roberts

.257 Roberts improved

.250/3000

.25/06

.257 Weatherby

Anything larger is overkill. That said, if I had a permit to hunt this weekend I'd take my 7mm Rem Mag, even though I have eight of the above rifles in my gun safe. It just "feels" better and it works. I point it at something from a duiker or javelina up to the size of moose or eland, touch the trigger, and it goes down.

Bill Quimby

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good ballistics website? I've checked out chuckhawks.com but are there any other good ones out there?

You can find good balistic charts on the websites of the gunmakers like Remmington etc.

I ment what hunt? As in, Nov. hunt in unit_____?

I hunt Coues with a 7mm RUM. So that I can kill them when I want to or I can sneek closer if I want to! Theoretically ;)

I started hunting with a .222 and shot it for meny years and took deer and pigs with it . I cant remeber any going far after the shot . I have a 3006 , 308 , 300 mag and a 243 and will be usening the 243 this year

Lance, my dad shoots a 7RUM also, pee shooter and man its accuarte too! shoots under an inch as a total factory rifle, just a tuned trigger to about 3lbs. 140 accubonds are deadly!