max1hunter

Garmin Rino Help and Recs

I am sure plenty of you have the Garmin Rino GPS radios and in the various models out there. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what model I should purchase. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have used them all and I prefer the 530. I like the joystick controller over the new touch screen. The 530 does it all it just doesn't have the camera or some of the other whiz bang features the 600's have.

My buddy & I recently purchased 4 Rino 650s to use. We put the free AZ map from gpsfiledepot on 2 & the gpshunting topo on the others along w/earbuds. We felt like the rino was just as important as our rifle every day we left camp. I was leary of the radio but it worked extremely well & the touchscreen worked out pretty good too. Since everyone has a camera on their phone we didnt get the 655 model.

gregaz and W.O.T thanks for the input. I noticed that Garmin's website had some maps as well, more specifically Trailhead Series - Arizona National Scenic Trail. Obviously they cost money, but I wonder if those are any good. I will have to check out that gpsfiledepot when I get my unit.

I have the 655t. I love it, but if I could go back I would not have bought the "t" model. You do not need the topo maps this model comes with. Most of the time you are going to download your own or buy a card specific to where you are hunting anyway.

I have the 650 as does my dad and brother. I love them when the radio function is working, but we have had lots of issues with the radios not working very well. I do like it though, just wish the radio was more reliable.

The 530 are no longer in service. Garmin will not service but will offer a 20% off if you upgrade. save about 100 bucks. The 530 works well. I just called them about this and i have to upgrade my system. Very interesting.

My brother is still using a 520 he got the year they came out ... I have the 530 and 650 and most of the guys in our circle of hunting friends have 650's .... After using the joystick control for a while it took some getting use to the touch screen, but it does work well ...I would say being able to poll each other and see exactly where everyone is at is the biggest thing for us ... the radios work great but like all FRS lose some distance in the thick stuff and down in canyons ... The camera and extra memory for storing those pics ( the free Topo as mentioned IMO is better than that you get with the 655) were not enough for me to justify the cost ... You can find some good deals on the 650's if you look and is what I would recommend...

p.s. whatever you choose get a screen protector ... everyone I know has christened their screens on the first trip one way or another ... minor scratch is no big deal just pisses you off when you see it !

Gpsfiledepot.com

->Goto Arizona

->Arizona Topo

Thats what I use, but i havent tried any of the new ones lately

Looks very similar to the hunt maps sd card

I just put the Arizona Topo from GPS File Depot on my 650, and it's really good TOPO map especially considering the price, but I was hoping to find one with the FS roads all labeled.. Any one know if there's an option to get a map with the AZ FS roads labeled? Without shelling out another 100 bucks?

I was thinking about using the Hunt OnxMaps they are charging 109.00 for the AZ download..

We use these in all our radios and handhelds. Great maps

• Like 1

I was thinking about using the Hunt OnxMaps they are charging 109.00 for the AZ download..

We use these in all our radios and handhelds. Great maps

Cool man I'm pretty new to the GPS world so appreciate your feedback!

Just purchased the Rino 650 and attempted to download the AZ topo map off of GPSfiledepot.com.

Not sure what the problem is but it shows enabled on the unit, but no map?

A friend who just purchased one as well is showing encrypted?

Any pointers?

Yes, the wife and I read the tutorials.

Thanks