Sign in to follow this  
Tdub

Winchester 284

if distance(read long range out to 500y) and if by speed(read 3000fps+) is your goal this is not the gun to consider those things. a .284 winchester in a better bolt gun is all of that and more. this model 88 winchester is a great deer gitter-and bear and pig and elk-out to about 200 yards-maybe 250 if the gods are on your side. pressure is the enemy of lever guns-no camming power getting the cartridge in or the case out when things get hot.

in 12 months of reloading you will know this stuff. lever guns, autos, pumps and falling blocks may be sexy and all but bolt guns are where you can stretch out the velocity and range. don't think you can do it with a 50 year old lever rifle. not even a m88.

of all the reloading data you can read in print and online-none of it is for lever actions. read zero.

buddy you know you can pm me. i've loaded for m88, m99, blr, and m71 in .284, 300sav, 250/3000, 308 and .348.

lee

PRDATR - Yes that most likely was me. You probably don't get many in with this caliber. You guys were great!

if distance(read long range out to 500y) and if by speed(read 3000fps+) is your goal this is not the gun to consider those things. a .284 winchester in a better bolt gun is all of that and more. this model 88 winchester is a great deer gitter-and bear and pig and elk-out to about 200 yards-maybe 250 if the gods are on your side. pressure is the enemy of lever guns-no camming power getting the cartridge in or the case out when things get hot.

in 12 months of reloading you will know this stuff. lever guns, autos, pumps and falling blocks may be sexy and all but bolt guns are where you can stretch out the velocity and range. don't think you can do it with a 50 year old lever rifle. not even a m88.

of all the reloading data you can read in print and online-none of it is for lever actions. read zero.

buddy you know you can pm me. i've loaded for m88, m99, blr, and m71 in .284, 300sav, 250/3000, 308 and .348.

lee

Thanks for the offer, let me get started and don't be surprised if I reach out to you when I get in a groove. I've spent the last 6-7 years entrenched in fly fishing so I'm sure my wife is going to love that I'm getting into reloading. I'm lucky she lets me do this kind of stuff, I will just need to find a way to support it. I'm sure it's like tying flys you don't do it to save money but to get exactly what you want or because its something you can't buy.

Here's the grouping we got out of 54.4 grains of IMR 4350 with a Barnes 120 TTSX. If things ever play out I would like to see about these other loads that were suggested.

post-8967-0-59940300-1389031750_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's been a good gun for me, it has sat in the safe for a long time however it's been resurrected for the little ones beginning to hunt. I look forward to putting it to good use over the next couple years. That's if we ever get drawn.

the 284 is an excellent cartridge in a bolt action. My 284's are a little different, both are XP-100 and HS Precision handcannons. super accurate and deadly on deer sized game. took a 9 pt (eastern count) whitetail in Ky two years ago. 140 gr Nosler BT did the job , bang / flop 90 yds shot (short distance for these guns).

nmhunter

IMG-20130505-00087_zpsb524fc87.jpg

284_zpsccfd34b3.jpg

Hanson-20121121-00321-1.jpg

sexy

I have a bunch of 284 win ammo and brass. I have reloaded a bunch for it. I just recently decided to come back to the 120g TSX. I have shot 140 accubonds and 168 bergers and all shot well, but I'm going back to the 120 TSX that will fit my magazine and match my reticle. I am using H4350 with this bullet, and it's a stout load in an HS Precision bolt gun. I do have 6 or 8 boxes of loaded ammo that I bought from some company in Wisconsin? I think, about ten years ago. If I remember correctly its loaded with 140 g cor-lokts. It was slow and not very sexy I guess, cause I never ended up shooting much of it. I would be happy to sell it to you cheap if you are interested. I think I might have some unopened bags of brass too. I don't remember brass being difficult to get.

great cartridge! I also have a model 88 but it's perfect so I am afraid to shoot it.

I'll take it if price is right. Please send me prices

Nmhunter