Sign in to follow this  
GWHunter

For my Wife - BAR Mark II Safari BOSS 25-06

Fellow CWT members,

After 26 years of asking, my wife hunted for the very first time last year. It was a predator hunt, but she said it was exciting. This year, she said yes to deer hunting. Not only did she hunt, but successfully killed a little 3x3 (we count eye guards) on opening day with a borrowed .243 rifle. She said she really enjoyed it and is hooked. She is a very small framed lady, who does not handle recoil well. I will be buying her her very own rifle for next year's hunt and am already looking for something appropriate. Here is my initial idea.

BAR Mark II Safari (BOSS) in 25-06.

This is an absolutely beautiful rifle. She is left handed and struggled with the bolt action of the borrowed .243. The Browning BAR is a semi-auto. The very nature of a semi-auto rifle will reduce recoil a little bit, but with the addition of Browning's BOSS system, the recoil will be reduced up to an additional 30%. My thinking is that this will allow me to move her up to a quarter bore with no noticeable increase in recoil. Plus with the accuracy adjustment capability, we can tune the rifle allowing her to stay on target after the shot.

I am looking to put the Vortex Viper PST scope on it. The borrowed rifle had a very old Bushnell 3x9 scope on it. Great little scope, but my wife struggled with it. I want to give her a really good scope that we can adjust to her eye relief with ample FOV to help her. Owe... and not kill my bank account. I am already going to have to buy two other scopes.

Although I am really leaning towards this option, I would appreciate your ideas.

Thank you

GWHunter

good choice, you can even go up in caliber, my daughters were doing shooting demo's in my Hunter Ed classes when they were 11 & up with my .300wm and 180 grain bullets, they are a bit heavy, makes for a long day if you go up and down many hills

Are you stuck with that gun and cal my dad has a left handed 270 ruger he wants to get rid of. If you might be interested in it I could even get with you to let you see it and shoot it pm me if interested

I'm sorry but BAR's and Leupolds were made for each other. I've got 3 of them. Get a nice VXII or VXIII and don't look back. My wife and 2 girls (15 and 10) have taken antelope, elk and deer with my BAR in 270WSM. Congrats to your wife on her buck.