westernhunter23

7mm rem mag load for nosler long range accubonds

Apparently you never read the reloading manual hornady issued when the amax first was introduced where they stated that the amax would be great for thinner skinned big game such as deer. They just never were marketed as such. They cant say hunting bullet when they're limited to thin skinned applications. Hunting bullets need a broader range. They also specifically mentioned 'rapid expansion'. That said, now we have a bullet designed and labeled a hunting bullet with amax type performance to give guys like you and me less to argue about such as what we're doing now.

I sure cant argue about shot placement. You hit the nail on the head there. That said, I am also one that believes there are more components for quick kills such as expansion and my argument here isn't that bergers won't expand. Just that whatever the Berger can do, I have others in my line up that will do it a bit further. You of all people should know that. I don't know but I'm assuming that's why you shot your 1100 yard + deer last year with a 140 amax instead of the 140 vld. Just a guess. That was some great shooting by the way.

Well like I said 9 times out of 10 the berger shoots better for me. Just so happens my 6.5-284 much preferred the Amax over the berger as far as accuracy goes and why I used it. It also didn't expand much and just poked a hole but the hole was in the right place. I don't believe it did anything different than the berger would have if it in fact failed to expand.

Thought you said it was about a dime size exit. Pretty big for a 6.5.

I think this thread is about the ALR and we have totally hijacked it. If you would like to continue....you should start a new thread.

EDIT: looks like you actually said "nickel". My memory sucks.

Still just a hole. Not exactly what I would expect for "rapid expansion" and still nothing different than the berger would do.

I agree the topic has been hijacked and I apologize. My points have been made and I'm done here.

62.5 Gr. reloader 22 WW Brass WLMR primer behind 168 LRAB = .212" group at 100 yards. 62-63 seems to be the node in this particular rifle, have not shot any game with the LRAB yet, but would not have any reservations at all.

I loaded this info in another thread. I killed my Mexico Coues this year at just over 300yds, dropped where he stood, with this load:

70gr Ramshot Magnum

168gr LRAB

Nosler brass

CCI Large rifle primer

~2,950 fps

Rifle: Stiller Predator 7mm RM

Brux Barrel 26"

For this gun: - Max OAL using a Stoney Point gauge for me was 3.83 (at lands) and I ended up at 3.815 for the sweet spot. If I drop down the OAL too much or if the bullet touches the lands groups size grew quite a bit.