Sign in to follow this  
coues7

The statement of a lifetime

What happened with SFW AZ? Have not heard anything from them in awhile now. I think that group was going to speciffically deal with the politics of sportmen's issues.

I checked out ADA's website after Scott's post. They seem like a really cool group. I really liked what I saw of their deer clinics & their kid's camps. I wonder if they have a clinic for bowhunters that have no trouble connecting on other animals, but somehow manage to always miss deer? For a friend of mine, of course. :unsure: Seems like they're really active.

They one thing I did notice is that they are a new group & only have 500 members. MDF claims to have 10,000. W/ 3 local chapters here in Az, that could potentially equal out to significantly more pull. They both seem like excellent organization on the surface, though.

Matty: ADA is the old Arizona Mule Deer Foundation, not really a "new" organization. As to AZ SFW, I believe the group is up and running, but seems to keep a really low profile. This is total speculation, but I believe Pete Cimellaro has headed it up and they have a couple other people on the payroll. Last time I looked, there still wasnt a mission statement on SFW's website for the AZ SFW. Anyway, the general gist of this discussion is to join a group that is active in AZ politics that can and will affect our hunting future. Look into whichever one you think will do the best for you and your interests regarding wildlife and if you can, donate time & energy into the organization.............Allen........

I personally believe that belonging to an AZ organization is the key. MDF, RMEF, SFW, SCI, NRA etc are all great, but for local issues, many times these more "national" organizations seem to bow to their own political pressures and dont step in when needed. I am not saying all the time, but during the USO fiasco it was real evident that most of the national organizations didnt want to upset the apple cart so they stayed pretty quiet. I would look into ADA or AZ elk foundation and volunteer to help out. Many people just send their 25.00 in as annual dues but dont realize that volunteers to sit on committees and go to functions are much more important than the 25.00.........many many guys/gals who volunteer and sit on these boards get burned out and replacements are very welcomed...........Allen Taylor......

Man, Allen, you don't know how right you are. I talked to a gentleman who is one of the co-chair.'s for the local MDF in Mesa last night for about 20 minutes. He says that the Mesa chapter is the only one of the four in Az that is currently open. The have 3 committee members & due to a severe lack of members volunteering they are currently not involved in any projects in this state. He also said that he’s stepping down after this year (his third on the committee), due to the fact that in his words he is, “just too burned out.”

I also did some more poking around on the ADA’s website. If you look at their even calendar, they’ve got something going on just about every month. Called them to see if their board meetings are open to non-members, but haven’t heard back yet. They seem like a really great organization, but I want to get some personal experience with them before joining. Anyone on here a member of theirs?

Take care.

Matt S.

Matt,

I am a member and on the board of directors for the ADA. The board meetings are open to the public. The ADA is ALWAYS looking for volunteers to help out with any project. Stanley and TLH here on the forum are a big part of the youth camp program. KGaines is also on the board of directors of the ADA. And Allen has helped the group for several years and was on the board. KHarris is also a board member and frequents this forum. So yes, there are many of us that have firsthand experience with the ADA and if you are looking for a group to join, I suggest it's a good one.

Amanda

Amanda:

They had the date & a phone number on the site. Can you give me the location & time? Thanks.

Matt S.

I will get you the location and time and post it.

Here is the a link to the Arizona Sportsman For Wildlife, this is another group to check out and maybe get involved in. http://www.arizonasportsmenforwildlife.org...atareissues.asp

On a side note I have heard that the AZ chapter of the RMEF is having some trouble, does anyone know if that is true, is it lack of support or money or is it a national thing, or am I completely off base.

I think we as hunters and as outdoorsman need to help out in any way we can, I think all of these groups do some great things for hunting, and supporting them is one way we can help out.

Here's a quote from PETA's site.

Pain and Suffering

Many animals suffer prolonged, painful deaths when they are injured but not killed by hunters. A member of the Maine Bowhunters Alliance estimates that 50 percent of animals who are shot with crossbows are wounded but not killed.(7) A study of 80 radio-collared white-tailed deer found that of the 22 deer who had been shot with “traditional archery equipment,” 11 were wounded but not recovered by hunters.(8) Twenty percent of foxes who have been wounded by hunters are shot again; 10 percent manage to escape, but “starvation is a likely fate” for them, according to one veterinarian.(9) A South Dakota Department of Game, Fish, and Parks biologist estimates that more than 3 million wounded ducks go “unretrieved” every year.(10) A British study of deer hunting found that 11 percent of deer who’d been killed by hunters died only after being shot two or more times and that some wounded deer suffered for more than 15 minutes before dying.(11)

Without identifying this person or providing his/her credentials, the words are posted on the world wide web behind a host of celebrity endorsments saying that we're bad guys.

People should make it a point to become more involved with groups that support our cause, because our opponents are making a strong push to gather people to their cause. PETA claims to have over 1 million members. That's a heck-uv-a-lot for a group which is recognized as being the most radical environmentalist group in the country.

mattys281,

Glad to see you want to be involved and are checking things out to be involved.

I am also a member of the ADA and believe it is one of the best orgs. we have here in Arizona.

May I encourage you to attend the G&F Commission meeting in Phoenix Dec. 9th? I got to see Keith and Amanda at the last meeting I went to.

You can learn a lot from going to these meetings and seeing what is going on. You will see the whole spectrum of people who think they are stake holders in Arizona's wildlife. You may see an old man 80 years old that was born in Arizona and hunted here all his life get crapped on by a Commissioner in his/her first year on the Commission. You may see some hot chick that flew in from Kalifornia the day before and has never lived here argue with the Commission for an hour and get all the ears. You may see a presentation from a group that has spent thousands of dollars supporting game management in Arizona for many years have their presentation bashed and put in the circular file in 15 minutes. One of the most interesting ones I went to was back in October of 2004. Taulman sent his little Italian Stalion lawyer out to spank us around. Back then we had a Commissioner that told him where the bear spit in the buckwheat. We have one like that now for one more month or so then the others can take over. One thing I guarantee, you will get surprised. We always get a big surprise at the December meeting.

One thing I am pretty sure of is that we will lose hunting by 2027 but I would like my grandkids to experience it before we do.

These are only my own observations from my perspective and have nothing to do with the ADA.

Can I count on anyone to be at the meeting tonight in Tucson? What should I watch for? What do you say? do they listen?

I saw the elk and antelope proposals but have no idea what the green and red numbers mean.

mattys281,

Glad to see you want to be involved and are checking things out to be involved.

I am also a member of the ADA and believe it is one of the best orgs. we have here in Arizona.

May I encourage you to attend the G&F Commission meeting in Phoenix Dec. 9th? I got to see Keith and Amanda at the last meeting I went to.

You can learn a lot from going to these meetings and seeing what is going on. You will see the whole spectrum of people who think they are stake holders in Arizona's wildlife. You may see an old man 80 years old that was born in Arizona and hunted here all his life get crapped on by a Commissioner in his/her first year on the Commission. You may see some hot chick that flew in from Kalifornia the day before and has never lived here argue with the Commission for an hour and get all the ears. You may see a presentation from a group that has spent thousands of dollars supporting game management in Arizona for many years have their presentation bashed and put in the circular file in 15 minutes. One of the most interesting ones I went to was back in October of 2004. Taulman sent his little Italian Stalion lawyer out to spank us around. Back then we had a Commissioner that told him where the bear spit in the buckwheat. We have one like that now for one more month or so then the others can take over. One thing I guarantee, you will get surprised. We always get a big surprise at the December meeting.

One thing I am pretty sure of is that we will lose hunting by 2027 but I would like my grandkids to experience it before we do.

These are only my own observations from my perspective and have nothing to do with the ADA.

Don't give too much credit, what you see is actually an act of extreme selfishness. I had the same ephinany causing scenario that Jack wrote about, except mine was 180 degrees the other way. Now I'm dedicated to the sole purpose of doing what ever I want when I want, & guess what tops the list :D? Did someone in the back say bowhunting? We have a correct answer!

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town over that weekend, but will be planning on the next meeting. My granny's on her way out, so we're heading to San Diego for a visit while she's still here.

I hope your wrong on your prediction, but according to PETA, less than 5% of our population hunts. If that's the case than we need to do whatever we can to reinstate the public image of hunters as conservationists who always gives back more than they take, otherwise we'll never sway the massive nonhunting population to support us. Especially with groups like this slinging mud in a cut throat attempt to make us look like barbarians. I believe it was their president that openly admits, "we're media sluts." That means they'll do or say anything to get in the media & make their argument. Add to that the fact that if they get some ludicrous little factoid that smears us on the front page & it later is proved false, where does the retraction go? Page D16, right between the city dining section & the classifieds. We have to make as much noise as they do or else your prediction will be right on the money.

coues7,

Sorry I can't make the meeting tonight.

The red numbers mean the total number of permits was reduced by this amount compared to last year.

The green numbers mean the total number of permits was increased by this amount over last year.

Don't be afraid to ask them any questions you want to.

They listen, but that doesn't mean anything will necessarily change.

Let us know how you thought it went.