Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

????? Will a lion scavenge????

I found a cow today that took an unfortunate tumble down a mountain side two or three days prior. The birds have yet to penetrate it and I was wondering if a lion would eat any?

Yes. It seems like they only will if it's fairly fresh, but that's just my experience. They will definitely scavange though.

Coues Sniper is right. Alot of people think lions will not eat something they did not kill. They are wrong....

Put a trail camera on it and predator call in the area in another three to four days.

yes they will. the lion I took, a few years back with my bow, was 13 yrs old & only had 1 canine tooth & a few others left in his mouth. we tracked him with dogs & we found that he would stop & chow on other lion kills no matter how old they were.

I had shot a rabbit and left it for an hour or so then I came back the rabbit was gone I looked around then up and saw a mountain lion had it in it's mouth it bolted with the rabbit there and gone in a flash. So I would say yes they will scavenge...

I sat the "crash" site for a day and a half. The time I had left before my overlords, um bosses, would miss me. I could see where something larger than a crow was eating at it and I just could not get the timing right.

You can see the path that the cow tumbled. I knew the area was step when escaping bucks would watch there step.

post-4480-0-74846500-1389757520_thumb.jpg

The late Ollie Barney who killed a great many lions in Arizona in his time, told me his dogs had caught four lions in four weeks off the same dead horse. Until then, I had always thought lions ate only their own kills and only while the meat still was fresh. A month-old dead horse certainly wouldn't be fresh. ----

Bill Quimby