Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Population Management Hunts

How do these work? I was thinking about trying for a Javalina.

I have put in for years. Checked all the game boxes and most of the weapons boxes. In 20+ years, I have only gotten the call once from AZGFD for a population management hunt. Can't really complain though. I just about fell out of my chair in 2008 when the lady on the other end of the phone told me it was for buffalo on the House Rock ranch.

• Like 1

That's good luck. I've been putting in for years and got the call for a cow elk hunt a couple years ago. I declined to see if I could draw a bull tag that year and of course I didn't.

Did anyone see the story of the guy that got called for a rocky mountain sheep depredation tag and killed a FREAK? It was Utah I think. The left horn was 41" and the right one was 35-ish.

So GF calls you and you have a short amount of time to get your stuff together and go kinda thing?

So GF calls you and you have a short amount of time to get your stuff together and go kinda thing?

Yes! My dad was called to the house rock hunt for a cow/yearling bull hunt and took a young bull I believe in 2007. My brother was called in 2012 for an archery bear tag down south some where and a 5a/5b bull buffalo tag for only the bulls that left the ranch.

I believe you get 3 calls in 48 hours to answer and accept the tag, but we will be a little more selective on the hunts if we get anymore calls.

For the 2012 bear tag, he was told to wait for a call and if they have a problem they would call him down to shoot a bear that was bothering a residential area. never received a call....

the buffalo tag I believe was a 10 day hunt running up to Christmas eve If I remember right. Hunted hard for 7 out of the 10 days with 2 of those being a blizzard so we were unable to glass. We ended up glassing 3 bulls one day and after we finished packing our back packs to go after them we decided to give the ranger a call and make sure they were legal. It was the first day we got there and it seemed too easy. I guess we were actually glassing onto Raymond ranch and that was the only buffalo we seen the whole time. That was some expensive tag soup!

Officer #1 - Hey man, there is a game management seminar on Maui next month but we have no money in the travel budget

Officer #2 - no problem. Call up one of the buff population management hunters and sell them a tag.

Officer #1 - but there are no buffs off the ranch?

Officer #2 - do you want to go to Maui?

Officer #1 - ALOHA!!!!!

• Like 4