Sign in to follow this  
stoney4325

Stamp(s) question

First time duck hunting and i'm confused. I bought a 2014 combination license in december. Today i went to g&f to get the stamps. The nice lady said my license is 'grandfathered' in, ie eventhough i bought it in december it still includes the all the benefits of a a license purchased this year (2 pole, trout stamp ect). She then asked if i was going to hunt dove. WIthout thinking i said no. So she gave me the federal stamp. Looking at the regs for the combo license, i see:

Allows take of all fish species statewide (including at Community Fishing waters), small game, fur-bearing animals, predatory animals, certain nongame animals, and upland game birds. A valid tag or stamp is required for the take of big game animals and migratory game birds.

Looking at the migratory bird stamp description i see:

Allows take of band-tailed pigeons, moorhen, coots, doves, ducks, geese, snipe and swans. Valid July 1 through June 30. This stamp is included with the Youth Combo Hunt/Fish license.

So, am i good or do i need another stamp?

thx

Your 2013 duck stamps work until the end of the season January 2014. In October, when the 2014 season starts you will need purchase the 2014 federal and state duck stamps to hunt waterfowl this fall. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I was confused at the Tucson office. I asked "if I buy a license online" which I've never done. "Where do I stick the stamps? " is there a place on the back they need to go?" She said I no longer need stamps???? I questioned further... Then I was told the bird stamp was $5! I questioned the price drop... She then said, oh you still have to buy the federal stamp for $15 and a $5 state stamp. I didn't question further because I was cutting into her lunch hour. Not sure what I need come this fall?

in the fall you will need your az hunting licesnse. for duck, a federal stamp. the state stamp has been eliminated.

for dove, the migratory bird stamp.

A Federal duck stamp is still required to hunt ducks regardless of when you bought your 2014 license.

in the fall you will need your az hunting licesnse. for duck, a federal stamp. the state stamp has been eliminated.

for dove, the migratory bird stamp.

You're correct. They got rid of the state stamp, but they combined it with the migratory bird stamp. So to hunt ducks you need the migratory stamp and the federal duck stamp. ($20 total) and for dove you just need the migratory ($5)

from the regs:

Migratory Bird Stamp Allows take of band-tailed

pigeons, moorhen, coots, doves, ducks, geese, snipe,

and swans (Valid July 1 – June 30)

$5

Federal Waterfowl Stamp (valid July 1 – June 30)

$15

I'm not sure if you need the migratory bird stamp for waterfowl? I thought the federal duck stamp would cover the HIP. I could be wrong though. I hunt doves, so I have the bird stamp already but for those that don't hunt doves, it maybe a question to ask azgfd