Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Help for a rookie Javelina hunter?

My wife and I plan to be in the Phoenix area from December 29-January 5 this year. I have always thought it would be fun to hunt javelina. What hunting could I do that time of year. Is there an archery season starting January 1? Any opportunity for muzzleloader hunting? Should I apply for a special tag this year? I am a TOTAL rookie when it comes to javelina.

You apply for tags in Sept.

There is an over the counter tag for the metro units but if you are not familiar with the area it would be difficult.

There is an archery hunt that starts on Jan 1st every year.

You apply for tags in Sept.

There is an over the counter tag for the metro units but if you are not familiar with the area it would be difficult.

There is an archery hunt that starts on Jan 1st every year.

Thanks DesertBull. I just found the spring regs on-line. Looks like the app due date is around Oct 8. I'll probably apply for one of the archery hunts starting Jan 1. I ought to buy a turkey point too.

Muzzle loading is in feb. Which Phoenix area will you be in. I would try to get one of the more "popular" units

Muzzleloader would be a blast, but too late for when we can be there. It looks like archery is the way to go for me.