Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

Arrow builders

Whatever I have a tag for.

Edit: Didn't mean to sound like a smartass... But honestly, whatever's in front of me. I chose a heavier head to boost my total arrow weight and improve FOC numbers. The 175 puts my arrow at 515gr and 16% FOC.

Which of the 175s is getting better penetration? Have you shot anything besides foam with them yet?

I haven't shot anything other than a foam Block tgt. I'd like to shoot virgin spots on my tgt before answering the penetration question but at the moment I'm finding the 3 blade penetrating deeper than the 2. In some of the more beat up areas the shaft is burying all the way up to the fletching on the long aspect of the tgt.

Double.

Shot all 3 into the cleanest areas of my target this morning. None of them clearly out penetrate the other and they all averaged about 15.5" at 20yds. The 2-blade though consistently seemed to penetrate just a bit more. Not enough to make a guy say "wow" but there was no doubt it went .5"-1" deeper over 3 rounds of shots.

If I can round up some ballistic gelatin at work I'll try it in that.

To each his own so not trying to change your mind but there is no reason at all to shoot such a heavy arrow. You are giving up too much speed for unneeded weight. You could go down to say 420 gns total, still shoot awesome groups out as far as you want, and penetrate anything you hunt (pass through). All the while with smaller pin gaps and less room for error should the situation not be exactly how you want it. Is there any reason other than its just what you want as to why you are going so heavy?

It's an experiment. I've got a dozen CT Rhinos that weight 440 with a 125gr head. They fly well too but the point of building something heavy was to push the bow to be more efficient, increase KE and momentum, and obtain higher FOC, all at the same time.

I'm not overly concerned with speed. It's a consideration but not at the top of my priority list. OT2 puts my speed with this arrow at about 245. I'd love it to be higher but not at the expense of the above goals. Considering guys with short recurves are whacking big critters with heavy arrows and low speeds every year, I don't think I'll have any problems.

You definitely wont have problems just curious was all. I would say with a 175 gn head you are actually losing penetration over a 100 or 125 gn. Foc is not everything and there seems to be a huge push to have more foc lately when it isnt that big of a deal honestly.

Still playing with the numbers and flight so this isn't quite over yet. I kinda like the 150 head the best in terms of overall size; it's more compact with less wind-catching blade surface than it's heavier counterpart and puts the arrow weight at 491. The 2-blade 175's shoot the best out of a basically untuned bow but I'm having the string and cables replaced soon and I'm upgrading to an actual stabilizer instead of the 6" heavy dong that's on there now so we'll see. Once I get everything worked out and get it tuned better I'll make a final decision. Still gonna shoot the CT's though. Great arrow.

You definitely wont have problems just curious was all. I would say with a 175 gn head you are actually losing penetration over a 100 or 125 gn. Foc is not everything and there seems to be a huge push to have more foc lately when it isnt that big of a deal honestly.

Try throwing a dart with the point of the dart pointing backwards and you'll understand the importance of FOC.

/>

Try throwing a dart with the point of the dart pointing backwards and you'll understand the importance of FOC.

/>

I think he was more meaning the extreme FoC trend

/>

I think he was more meaning the extreme FoC trend

Ohhh oakie doakie...Try throwing a dart with the point of the dart pointing backwards and you'll understand the importance of EFOC...