Looking into getting a DSLR, most likely a cannon rebel t3i, any other suggestions? Trying to keep the price very reasonable (college budget) but i love taking photos out in the middle of no where and now want a good camera.

Also, what are your recommendations on lenses? Anything I should know about them?

My hunting budgets enough as it is, soo this will be painful haha.

I run a t3. Good for what it is. Its all about the user though. Lenses, expect to pay 2-3x more than the price of ur camera for quality glass. The kit lens is good for artistic macro shots, harvest shots with the good old sit behind the rack 5 feet to make it look monster and landscape shots. Video quality is good but not great. My t3 is 720hd. Not sure of the t3i. Good enough for backroll, artistic filler film snippets. But if u wanna reach out there.... telephotos are not cheap. If u have a good spotting scope or optic I'd get an adapter for the DSLR and go that route. It'll be heck of alot cheaper. T3i is a good start though. Good luck.

Also of u go the DSLR adapted to your optic make sure u have a tripod setup that can handle the weight up top. It gets frustrating having to deal with the verticle axis slowly tipping from the offset weight from the camera. Even worse fully zoomed. I find that if you use a adjustable monopod with the base plate attached to the camera floor plate while the optic is on the tripod helps alot keep it extra steady. Use ur self timer also to keep even more steady. Its surprising what movement is created when u are pushing that shutter button. Especially at distances. Ur images will be real clear with a 2 second self timer. Also setup ur camera to take multiple exposures (like a 3 round burst) and multiple light exposures.

All good advice! Thanks you very much!

I've got a good spotter, so I was planning on an adapter for that. But I didn't think about the weight of it as well, I'm sure my tripod and head can handle the weight.

Def gonna keep this advice handy!

Check out some of the lenses by Tamron. They make some really nice stuff if you are on a budget but it is hard to beat Cannon glass. The IS (Image Stabilizer) lenses are very nice for free hand stuff and get a polorizing lens while your at it and a clear lenses to protect the optic.

Stop in a real camera shop and talk to them before you buy to get an idea of what will work for you. Call me crazy but I really miss Kodachrome and AGFA Film.

What are you using now?

I would really make sure you want (need) a dSLR before you spend your money. Unless you do a lot of action photography (sports or your kids or something) a dSLR is just big and, like others have mentioned, the lenses are extremely expensive. Have you thought about buying used?

My dSLR stays home a lot because it's big, and the point and shoot comes with me unless I'm with the kids. I would suggest doing a lot of reading at ken rockwell's site. He has a lot to say about cameras and photography in general and he has a very practical approach to the gear he recommends and his articles on composition are awesome. Check it out, http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

If I were in the market for a camera to photograph/video game I'd be getting the ultra zoom (24x) Lumix DMC FZ200, which is not a DSLR (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200/4505-6501_7-35374662.html). I don't have this camera and don't work for Panasonic, but from what I've been hearing, the video is awesome, and the zoom and pic quality are quite good. Youtube has reviews of every camera you could imagine buying... if video is important to you, check out the video from the cameras you're interested in and make sure it works for you. Same for the pics..

Good luck!

I just bought a Sony with 50x optical zoom for 400 and love it!! It has 20.4 megapixals and rakes amazing pics zoomed in on a hawk at 780 yards and other than heat waves it's really clear and the hawk took up most of the screen

I agree above and say that I usually don't pack my dslr in my pack even though it's a smaller Canon T1i. If I were to get a camera for hiking and hunting, I would look into the micro 4/3 or mirror less cameras. You still can have interchangeable lenses for getting the shot style you want and overall a much smaller package.

I agree above and say that I usually don't pack my dslr in my pack even though it's a smaller Canon T1i. If I were to get a camera for hiking and hunting, I would look into the micro 4/3 or mirror less cameras. You still can have interchangeable lenses for getting the shot style you want and overall a much smaller package.

I like those mirrorless cameras and the micro 4/3 gonna give these a look into.

right now i use friends dslr's, i love the quality out of them! Unreal.

Good advice! Thanks guys! and yes, ill most likely be going the used route fer sure!